Sprints are appearing as empty on the [backlog] and don't show up on the [Sprint report].

Carlos Henrique Alves Pereira May 9, 2022
I'm reorganizing some past issues on sprints.
When I consult the issue's cards, the sprint is filled properly on the [Sprint] field.
Using filters/search I'm able to find'em, through their respective issues.
On the [Backlog] the sprints appear, but empty (no issues) and on the proper Backlog (bottom of backlog view) there is nothing.
On the [Reports] area they don't appear.
I checked the project/board filters and changed the issues statuses differently.
The issue migration to sprints was done using the "bulk edit" process, on the [Filters => Advanced issue search] option.
Does any of you have an idea about what's going on?
Thank you all, in advance.
Best Regards.
Carlos

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2022

Hello @Carlos Henrique Alves Pereira 

Welcome to the community.

Can you share with us the filter for one of the boards where the sprints appear and are empty?

Can you share with us the Columns page mapping statuses to columns for that board?

Can you share with us the details of an issue that you think should be displaying but is not?

Are the issues in Company Managed projects or Team Managed projects?

Are you modifying sprints that have already been started, and ones that have already been completed, or just sprints that have not yet been started?

Carlos Henrique Alves Pereira May 10, 2022

Greetings Trudy. Thank you for your answer. I'm sharing here some evidences ordered (also named) according to your questions.
About the last question (Are you modifying...) I'm organizing concluded issues on opened sprints from the past (with sprint time window entirely on the past).

1 - Filter.png2 - Columns.png2 - Columns_2.png3 - Backlog.png3 - Issue_Missing.png4 - Management_project.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2022

Hello @Carlos Henrique Alves Pereira 

What type of issue is the one you showed - WIOT-111? It appears to be an Epic based on the icon.

Epics do not show up in the Backlog issue list nor as cards on the board view. Typically an Epic is not assigned to a sprint because the scope of an Epic typically exceeds the type frame of a sprint. Jira allows you to set a Sprint field in an Epic, but it won't show the Epic in the Sprint.

Epics are displayed in the Epics pane on the left on the Backlog screen.

The Backlog issue list and the board view will instead show issues at the next level in the hierarchy:

Epic > general issues > Sub-tasks

...where "general issues" are things like Task, Story, Bug and other custom issues that you might add at that level. It is the issues at that level that are counted and displayed on the backlog screen as "## of issues" next to the sprint name. Sub-task type issues may also display but are not included in the count.

Are there issues assigned to the sprints that are within the "general issues" grouping that are not showing up on the board or in the backlog?

You are right. It was confusing to send a print of this epic. Here is another print showing an issue (subtask) into this epic, with the respective sprint. It is also weird to me that the sprints (I'll focus on this WIOT-SP1-22W01-03) do not appear on the list of sprints on the "Sprint Report"5 - TASK_EPIC_SPRINT_VIEW.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 10, 2022

As I mentioned, sub-task type issues will also not show in the Backlog issue list or on the board, generally, without their parent issue. If the sub-task parent is directly the Epic and the Epic doesn't show in the backlog list or as a card on the board, then I think the sub-task also will not show.

For Sprints in Jira you should be working with issues at the "general issues" level, making those Child issues of your Epics, and assigning those to the sprints. Sub-tasks are not independent items from their parent issues. Subtasks will be carried into and out of sprints with their parent issue.

I was just doing an experiment in my own test Company Managed project and I found that actually and epic will appear as a card on the board when it is assigned to a sprint. So, I learned something new. But it still does not show up in the Backlog issue list

For the Sprint Reports in my environment I see both closed and active sprint in the list of sprints. It is only not started sprints that are absent from the list.

I changed the issues from "sub-tasks" to "tasks" and now they are appearing on the [backlog] and I'm able to manage'em accross sprints. That's fine for me and I appreciate a lot your attention. Thank you, Trudy. 

Suggest an answer