Sprints: If an issue is deleted without removing the sprint value, sprint cannot be completed

Pam Fick-Gerster November 21, 2018

When a user deletes an issue by going to the issue and choosing More, Delete and does not clear the sprint value first, the sprint that the issue was on cannot be completed.

To resolve the issue, we have to reindex the project and then the sprint can be completed.

If an issue is deleted, why wouldn't it be automatically removed from the sprint?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2018

@Pam Fick-Gerster I think this is likely an environmental problem in regards to indexes on your Jira site.   I say that because I can't seem to replicate the behavior you have described.  Deleting an issue will completely remove it from Jira.   The only way I could see you getting this error was if there was a problem with Jira updating its own indexes to reflect this issue change/removal.

And given that you can get around this by reindexing is more telling that your Jira site is having an index problem.

Could you confirm

• your specific version of Jira,
  • the number of issues you have in your Jira site
  • Are the $JIRAHOME/caches/indexes located on a network drive or a NFS/samba share?

It also could be helpful to look directly at your $JIRAHOME/log/atlassian-jira.log file immediately after deleting this issue to see what sort of info/warn/error messages might exist in the logs at that time.   The update of Jira's indexes should be very fast, but I suspect something else is happening here to prevent that update growing through quickly.

Pam Fick-Gerster November 27, 2018

We have a large install on the 7.2.13 data center version with 6,791,431 issues.  Our company has a SEN number but wanted to post this question here before entering a support ticket just in case it was a known issue.

I will ask our infrastructure team to enter a support ticket with Atlassian.

Thank you.

Hello everybody
I had the same problem.
reindex the project, that will work

0 votes
Troy Spetz November 23, 2018

We use JIRA 7.12 server version.

This sounds like a bug, because it is resolved by re-indexing (which implies that deleting an issue is not correctly updating any related index entries).

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2018

@Troy Spetz Are you working with Pam directly?   I ask because I see you posted a version number, but I'm not clear if you are also seeing this problem or not.

Suggest an answer