It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
  • Community
  • Products
  • Jira
  • Questions
  • Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks with custom Done-Category status and custom Resolution

Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks with custom Done-Category status and custom Resolution

Good Morning,

I've currently problems in completing a sprint, due to the 'famous' "Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues" message.

• We do have a custom status in the Done-Category, which is called Obsolete.
  • We do have a custom resolution, which is called Won't Do.

All subtasks of the issues in our sprint have a Done-Category status (Done or Obsolete)
and all subtasks of the issues in our sprint have a resolution (Done or Won't Do)

I don't understand why this is happening.

I've for testing purposes transitioned one subtasks (after marking it with a label) from Obsolete -> Done
and it's parent Story is not showing up in the list on a close spring attempt. So it definitely has something to do with the custom status/resolution.

Any ideas? Thanks for your help in advance!

5 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted

Is "Obsolete" in the "done" column on the board?

well spotted ... thanks for the super-fast response 
have a nice weekend though

K:) 

I am having a similar issue.  I have two "Category - Done" statuses (Done and Rejected) and both are in the far right column. If an issue is in the Rejected Status and the sprint is completed it automatically moves them to the next sprint. Being that the issue was rejected(Done) in that sprint, why does it not stay with that sprint? Is this a user setting or default setting. Can it be changed?

How do you make that status go into that column?

Go to the board, hit board-config and go to "columns", where you can map status to columns

Like Chris -Admin- likes this

I mean if you have  a sub-task which is Obsolete, still the user is forced to move it to done column. For lot of teams this is highly unintuitive as when you move an issue to "DONE" column then you see two areas to drop the issues (complete or obsolete) and it's hard to convince SM/POs that even if the issue is obsolete still it should be moved to *Done* (which implies work done) in order to close the sprint (in case it's a  obsolete sub-task of a done story)

I hope Atlassian implements this feature request soon - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12169

I had a quirky situation where Jira would report that "Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks …" while all the issues and their subtasks were actually closed, with proper states and resolutions set. 

This was because a closed status called "Trash" was hidden, i.e. it was no assigned to any column on the board. As soon as I added it to a column, Jira stopped complaining. 

You saved me in this unintuitive jira world - I had the same problem and I solved it using your idea!

Thank you!

1 vote

I'm having a different situation. I moved a task that has subtasks from one sprint into the next, but I can't close the original one until the subtasks are marked complete on the issue I moved to a completely different sprint anyway. HALP

I have this same issue and have tried all of the suggestions listed. Both the story and the subtasks are in the far right column, there are no hidden statuses, and all stories and sub-tasks have a resolution set.

I figured it out. It turned out the ‘master’ project where I am centrally managing the start and end of the sprint for our whole company didn’t include one, so it wasn’t able to map the right statuses as “done”. 

0 votes
cptdkirk I'm New Here Thursday

I have the exact issue as @Sebi Nievas .  Very frustrating.  Atlassian please fix this immediately or provide a workaround!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

334 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you