Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues:

Prudhvi vemulapati January 21, 2019

Hi,

I have searched for a resolution on the community here, couldn't find a solution for my scenario.

I have a user story with 7 subtasks and all in Done status(we mark the subtasks as done once completed). But, when I try to complete the sprint I am prompted with the " Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues:"

Please advise.

regards

Prudhvi

3 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Hi @Prudhvi vemulapati

Check if the resolution of the issues us set. You can do this by using tge basic search and selecting your projrct the issue type subtask and resolution =empty

If there are issues found which are also in your current sprint then this is the reason for your problem.

You can fix  this by fixing the corresponding wirkflow. A how to is found here :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/resolutions-are-not-set-225122076.html

With kind regards

Mario

Prudhvi vemulapati January 21, 2019

Hi @Mario Carabelli thank you for the reply.

I identified the issue, one of the subtasks was in a different status. However, for some reason, this subtask was not displayed on the active sprints page. I could only see this in the exploded view of the user story. 

Mario Carabelli
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2019

Hey @Prudhvi vemulapati

My pleasure, i am happy that i nudged you in the correct direction even if my resolution assumption was wrong.

I would appreciate if you accept  my answer then for virtual glory 😉

0 votes
Luke Higgins July 8, 2021

We've been able to mark subtasks complete, close the sprint, and then re-open the subtask. 

Eugene Chin July 8, 2021

I guess that's a good trick to work around this.

I have found another issue with cloned subtask. if I run a filter for project = blah and sprint = 3 or something all issues other than subtasks shows up but the cloned subtasks also got mixed in there which is weird. anyway, seems like cloned subtasks just keep some weird state information in there that doesn't get updated. I will just be no lazy and manually type in all the info and restrain from cloning subtasks.

0 votes
Lexi Kendall October 2, 2019

I am having the same problem but all the subtasks on the noted tasks from the error are in a subsequent sprint, not the one I'm trying to close. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 5, 2019

Sub tasks are in the sprint that their parent is in.  Are you saying that you have stories in another sprint that are showing as being in the current one?

Luke Higgins February 16, 2021

I'm having this issue right now. 

The same error is showing but the parent Task is in a future sprint.  I can't close the current sprint. 

Eugene Chin July 7, 2021

same issue as Luke had. Did anyone figure why what's going on? The popup shows the current sprint has 0 open issue and all completed. then it errors out and won't close because of an issue in future sprint. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2021

Is every issue and all their sub-tasks in the last column of the board when you close the sprint?

Eugene Chin July 7, 2021

yes they are. so I finally figured out the problem. at least for my issue, I have sub tasks that were clones of completed sub tasks in current sprint. even though the cloned sub tasks were in backlog and future sprints. for some reason they both retained current sprint somewhere (but not showing up in the web page view of the sub tasks). so they all show up as not done even though they were never in the current sprint. I ended up deleting all the cloned sub tasks and manually re-created them. Then I can finally complete the current sprint.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 7, 2021

Ah,ok, that makes a lot of sense - you'd got issues that were flagged as complete while not being complete because parts of them (sub-tasks) were not.

Getting rid of the sub-tasks fixed it, but it's probably not the right thing to do - the best thing to do here would be stopping people flagging issues as complete when they're not because bits of the (sub-tasks) are not.

Eugene Chin July 8, 2021

No that wasn't the problem, maybe I didn't explain clearly. Here is what happened

1. I have a subtask A (completed or not doesn't matter, I have tested both now) in the current sprint
  2. I cloned subtask A and named it subtask B. Then change parent on subtask B to a story in future sprint.
  3. subtask B show up with sprint value of a future sprint. 

Doing so will prevent current sprint from completing even though all subtasks (including A) and all issues are complete (there is even an popup saying all issues are completed). The error popup shows that the story in future sprint has incomplete subtasks. That story was never in the current sprint. The problem was caused by subtask B that somehow held on to a sprint value of current sprint even thought it's not showing that. Deleting subtask B and manually recreate it in the future sprint fixes the problem.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 8, 2021

The sub-task does not hold any sprint value, it can't.  The problem here remains that you are completing issues when they're not complete.