Sprint cannot be completed as there are incomplete subtasks on the following issues

Taher Hamrahcard November 14, 2020

I know there are lots of questions with this title but none of them resolved my problem. 

I have a story with some subtasks with status as closed which is one of the default Jira statuses. The resolution of these subtasks is Done. 

12.JPG

I add closed column from column management as follows:

14.JPG

The category is Done by default but strangely it shows it with blue color which is ToDo color.   

13.JPG

I cant understand what's going on with this column.

2 answers

0 votes
Taher Hamrahcard November 15, 2020

There are logically different tasks so it does not make sense to merge those statuses.

I expected that a column from the category of Done act similar to Done column. 

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2020

Hi @Taher Hamrahcard,

Is it possible that you have one or more additional columns to the right of this column on your board?

In a scrum board, the rightmost column (and only that column) is considered as the Done column of the sprint. Anything else will be considered as In Progress (and thus "Blue"), regardless of the underlying status you mapped to that column. 

Taher Hamrahcard November 15, 2020

Yes I have a Done column on the right of my board. 

So what should I do?

I have some tasks that need to be on close status. For me, close tasks are the ones who we have not work on them at all because we have found some better solution, or we have found those as duplicate tasks.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2020

The feasible thing to do is map both statuses to the same, rightmost column and eliminate the closed column from your board.

Having two statuses mapped to the same column will create 2 boxes in that column that still allows for drag and drop into the correct status.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 15, 2020

There are logically different tasks so it does not make sense to merge those statuses.

I expected that a column from the category of Done act similar to Done column. 

Maybe I left some room for misinterpretation in my last comment. The status in the workflow of your issues and the columns on your board are 2 different things.

Mapping 2 statuses from your workflow to the same column on your board does not merge your statuses. They remain separate statuses that you can perfectly reach (either through drag and drop on the board, either by selecting them directly on your issues).

At the same time, if you want completed issues to be marked as complete on a scrum board, they must be in the rightmost column of the board.

From what I read in your first comment, you want to make a distinction between issues that have really been worked on and others that you close for other reasons. That is a great approach, and Jira allows you the flexibility to do that using different statuses (the approach you seem to have chosen) or a same status with another resolution linked to it. There is no right or wrong there - both work fine.

But when it comes to the scrum board, it does not matter how you mark issues as complete. Everything that you don't want in your next sprint or back to the backlog anymore, must be in that rightmost column.

Suggest an answer