Sprint apears on different project boards

GBeirao May 1, 2020

Hi All,

Need some help, I have 2 projects, each have independent boards and sprints:

Project A: Board X, Sprint A1

Project B: Board Y, Sprint B1

For some reason Board Y shows me Sprint B1 and Sprint A1. Sprint A1 is shown as empty on Board Y because Board Y is configured to only show Project B issues.

I can't understand why this is happening? All looks normal in Project A. Any ideas?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 4, 2020

Hello @GBeirao

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Per your description, it seems that the same Sprint is displaying on two different boards (X and Y), although it should only be displayed in Board X. Is that correct?

Please, allow me to provide you with some details on what can cause this issue so we can be on the same page: 

Just like Boards, Sprints are completely independent, so it can be added to multiple Projects or Boards, just like described in the KB below:

Sprints appearing on multiple boards in Jira server 

That being said, a Sprint will be displayed on a board every time someone added a Sprint to any issue returned by that board filter. Here are some of the actions that could cause this behavior:

1 - An issue is moved from one project to another. If the Sprint from the previous project is not cleared from the moved issue, the sprint related to the issue will start displaying in the new board

2 - The board filter is edited, returning the issues also included in a different board and with different Sprints

3 - Any issue was manually added with the Sprint of a different project

In your specific scenario, I believe the filter of your board Y is configured to return some issue from the Sprint A1, however, it has some setting (Column mapping, swimlanes, etc) that might be hiding that issue from the board itself, causing the Sprint to not display that issue.

The steps to remove any issues in the Sprint A1 from the board Y and prevent any others to be added there would be:

- Navigate to the board where the Sprints are unexpectedly appearing > board settings > Edit filter query

- At the end of the filter query (before the ORDER parameter), add the following parameter with the name of the Sprint that is wrongly displaying in the board and run the query, but don't save it:

and sprint = "Sprint A1"

- Now, you have the issues that are wrongly configured with the Sprint. You can change it to the correct Sprint of your project or clear the field, optionally using the bulk operation feature.

Let us know if you have any questions.

GBeirao May 5, 2020

Fantastic! I did what you suggested and it turns out we had accidentally assigned an Epic from Project B to Sprint A1... And because it's an Epic and the board was filtering out any of the issues assigned to that epic (as Sprint A1 is set-up for project A), the board was displaying "No issues in this board" message!

Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer