Sprint Selection in Defects and Bugs

John Cockcroft September 25, 2019

Hi,

I'm trying to track sprints in Defects and Bugs.

I know there is the sprint field which exists but I have a need for 2 fields:

1)  To identify the sprint in which a bug or defect was identified.

2)  To Identify which sprint the bug or defect will be resolved in.

Is there anyway of creating a custom field which can be used to pick from a common list of sprints within a project?  I've seen the advice to use a text field and implemented that at present but that is dependent on users typing the sprint name correctly.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 27, 2019

Hello John,

Thank you for reaching out.

I understand that you want to have a clear identification of the Sprint where the issue was identified and the Sprint where the issue was solved. Is it correct?

By default, the Sprint field will store all the Sprints the issue has been transitioned on in a list format, so you can easily identify the Sprint where it was identified (The first Sprint in the list) and the one where it was solved (The last Sprint in the list).

However, if you would like to keep only both start and end Sprints without the other Sprints that the issues have passed through before getting resolved, you could indeed use two custom text fields to receive both values and use the post function Copy Value from other field to automatically fill the fields, avoiding the possibility of a user to type the wrong Sprint.

The only bad thing about this last approach is that Post functions can only be triggered upon issue transitions, so this approach will only work if the user set the Sprint in the creation screen of the issue.  P.S: This behavior can be avoided if you use the add-on Automation for JIRA lite, where you can create rules to copy fields upon Sprint update without needing any transitions. 

These would be the steps using the post function:

1 - Navigate to JIRA Settings > Issues > Custom Field and create two text custom fields: One to receive the Sprint where the issue was identified/created, another to receive the Sprint where the issue was Solved.

2 - Navigate to your project > Project Settings > Workflows > Edit

3 - On Diagram mode, click on the create transition > Post functions > Configure the post function Copy Value from other field to copy the Sprint field to the text field you created

4 - repeat the process with the Final transition and save your workflow draft

For more information about how you can configure the post function, check the documentation below:

Advanced Workflow Configuration

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer