Sprint Automation: how to automatically assign an issue to a sprint based on Live Date ?

Melanie Plourde April 24, 2023

Hi! I've like to find an automation that will assign an issue to a sprint based on due date. 

I have created all my sprints for the next few months, like this: 

- Sprint week 1
- Sprint week 2
- Sprint week 3
- Sprint week 4
- etc
- etc

When issues are created, I would like them to be automatically assigned to a sprint based on their Live date. Which would mean that, if an issue's Live date is updated, that issue would automatically be moved to the correct Sprint. 

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 24, 2023

Hi @Melanie Plourde 

First thing: doing something like this could create some team challenges and rework for the product owner, as people may assume an upcoming sprint's content are fixed, rather than using sprint planning to decide the goal, capacity, etc.  Have you instead considered using the built-in roadmap to place the items?

And...Creating an automation rule like this may not help, as it cannot detect all possible things that impact sprint assignment.  Essentially such a rule would call the REST API to get all possible sprints and then find the correct one...which may not work due to date comparison/filtering of lists.

Additionally, the rule(s) will need to trigger under these conditions:

• an issue is created with a due date  (This can be detected.)
  • an issue's due date changes  (This can be detected.)
  • an issue's sprint is manually changed  (This can be detected.)
  • a future sprint is changed  (This cannot be detected by a rule.)
  • an issue is moved to another project (This probably cannot be detected by a rule.)

Kind regards,
Bill

Suggest an answer