Special french characters import through CSV

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2014

Hi

I am trying to import special characters through CSV import.

I saw that the default UTF-8 encoder does not recognise the special french characters.

The fix as suggested in this article is to use iso-8859-1 encoder.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-35589

My question is , is there any changes to be made to the database if i use iso-8859-1 encoder?

Is there any impact if i import using iso-8859-1 encoder on a database which is set as UTF-8?

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 26, 2014

I got the solution. I used ISO-8859-1 as an encoder during the step-2 of the process. And it worked.

Thanks everyone.

0 votes
Sven [Dione Technology]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2014

Hi Rahul,

We are using UTF-8 by default with no problem with French special charater.

Which kind of character are causing the issue ?

Sven.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2014

Hi Sven,

for e.g i have a word in csv "incohérente" with UTF-8 it is getting imported to jira as "incoh?rente"

-Rahul

Milap Jani March 26, 2014

Hi Sven,

for e.g i have a word in csv "incohérente" with UTF-8 it is getting imported to jira as "incoh?rente"

-Rahul

Sven [Dione Technology]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2014

Hi Rahul,

Are you using Excel to manipulate your CVS file ?

Indeed Excel is not clean about that !

I had the same problem in the past.

I m using Google Doc to export a CVS (more clean)

Please see the last Matt comment is very interesting ...

Sven.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 26, 2014

I got the solution. I used iso-8859-1 as an encoder during the step-2 of the process. And it worked.

Thanks everyone.

Suggest an answer