Sorting JIRA version in descending order

Eletthri December 5, 2013

Hi,

I would like to be able to sort out JIRA versions in descending order. Our versions are numerical values, basically I'd like them to be sorted so that when I select a value for "Affect version" the highest number will be displayed first.

Thanks in advance for your help.

/Elettra

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Remie Bolte
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2013

I'm afraid you can't. Not without an add-on. The orde is part of the Version interface and stored in the JIRA database. Manually reordering a version triggers a save operation. This order is also used when displaying the Affected Version(s) or Fix Version(s) fields. If you want a different order, you will have to manually adjust this in the Versions configuration screen.

Andrew DeFaria January 13, 2015

Which add-on would this be?

Wang Meng April 6, 2016

Can the order of Versions be newly created ones appears on the top of create issue interface.

Now the system behavior is different.

The oldest one appear on the top of create issue interface.

User needs some time to scroll down to find the newly created versions.

Donald Skanes December 14, 2017

Anyone have an example of add-on code for this?

Mayur Ishwar Ranpura March 30, 2020

Roey_Shamir Dec 24, 2019

Hi, you are more than welcome to try my plugin - Version Manager for JIRA cloud.

Not only does it let you sort by whatever column you want, but it also lets you delegate the manage versions permission to whoever you decide and assign components to versions.

2 votes
prempal singh December 15, 2017

Atlassian does not provide flexibility to arrange order as you please. What i figured is that if you go to releases, there is an option to drag and drop. Here you need to order them in reverse of what you want to see on your board.

It is STUPID, but works.

Donald Skanes December 15, 2017

With a hundred or so projects and thousands of versions doing this manually would be tedious and time consuming. I will be working on sorting using the REST API (python) using move_version.

Larry Abel November 13, 2018

Thanks Prempal!  This worked for me.

Jack Crowe June 15, 2021

This is what I needed! I had sorted them but hadn't realized that it was just choosing the reverse of my order.

Thank you!

0 votes
B. TORRES March 2, 2020

Go to Releases page of your project.

From there you can Drag the versions to sort accordingly.

0 votes
Roey Shamir December 24, 2019

Hi, you are more than welcome to try my plugin for free - Version Manager for JIRA cloud.

Not only does it let you sort by whatever column you want, but it also lets you delegate the manage versions permission to whoever you decide and assign components to versions.

0 votes
mwarton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2013

Hi Elettra,

I don't know how to do this in the JIRA interface itself, but if you are looking to generate reports, our plugin Intelligent Reports can easily sort the versions by name and pick the first one to display in the report.

Intelligent reports lets you desing the report template directly in Microsoft Word, and set up simple point and click rules to define which data is included in the report. No programming language or API to learn.

Suggest an answer