Some tickets not visible on fresh kanban project board

Atte Viitanen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Hello!

I've set up a basic Kanban software project in Jira using the Kanban project template. I imported previous work from a Trello board and moved the imported tasks into epics/tasks/subtasks accordingly.

After the setup was finished, I can no longer see all of the issues on my project board. For example:

• On my board, I have 3 issues/cards in the "In progress" column (incorrect). The column header says "IN PROGRESS 3" (not e.g. IN PROGRESS 3 OF 5 in case a filter was in use)
  • If I go to "Issues" and filter by status "In progress", I get 5 results (correct)
  • If in the project settings I go to "Board" > "Columns and statuses", under the column "In progress", the UI says "5 issues" (correct)

Some considerations:

• I am the sole admin and user in the project as it was just set up
  • The project is using the simplified workflow
  • I have no filters set on top of the board view
  • Changing the "Group by" setting on the board page does not affect the incorrect counts
  • All the issues/tickets are in the same project. It is the first and only project I have
  • If I move any of the tickets not visible on the board to a different status, they still do not become visible in a different column

Things I have already looked at:

• I found a Jira doc article about solutions to these kinds of issues. However, I cannot see the settings explained in the article, e.g. sub filters or swimlanes so I cannot follow the instructions. I assume this is due to the simplified workflow
  • I attempted to create a new board following the instructions in this Jira doc article, but after selecting "Create a Kanban board", the UI asks for the existing project, but there is no dropdown/suggestions, so I cannot select it.
  • I also attempted to remove the board in case that would allow me to recreate it. However, there is no ellipsis menu next to the board in the boards listing, so I cannot select to delete it.

How could I start fixing this situation? I'm at a bit of a loss, any help is greatly appreciated!

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hello @Atte Viitanen 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

When you are viewing your board, please look at the navigation panel on the left.

At the bottom of the panel will be a statement that the project is Company Managed or Team Managed? What does that statement say?

Near the top of the panel where you have the "Board" option do you also have a "Backlog" option?

Atte Viitanen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill , thanks for the reply!

I don't have any text at the bottom of the left navigation panel/sidebar. However in the projects list (Top bar > "Projects" > "View all projects") the project type is listed as "Team-managed software".

I don't have the backlog option in the sidebar and the backlog feature is disabled in the project settings. I did previously enable it to test but disabled it again. I did not move any issues into the backlog when I did.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hello @Atte Viitanen 

You don't see text like this at the bottom left of the screen when you are viewing the board?

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.27.02 AM.png

That would be very unusual.

A Team Managed project Kanban board cannot show issues from all levels of the hierarchy as cards all at once. The cards that will show will depend on the Group By option you have selected. And the count of issues then shown at the top of the column will be the count of only the cards actually shown.

For instance if you set Group By to None, Epic or Assignee, you will see cards only for the Task level issues. When set to Epic the cards will be arranged in horizontal swimlanes per their parent Epic. Subtasks will not be shown, but their existence will be noted by this symbol.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.32.35 AM.png

If you want to see the subtasks as cards, you have to change the Group By option to Subtasks. Then only the Subtasks are shown as cards, and they are grouped in horizontal swimlanes based on their parent Task.

Epics never show as cards on this type of board.

If that does not address your scenario, can you please provide screen images showing your board and the details of an issue that you think should be displaying but is not?

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events