Some Epics not showing on bulk change of Epic Link

Paul_Ericson September 30, 2019

I am trying to bulk add Epic links, but some epics are not showing up. What controls whether an Epic is linkable or not?

1 answer

0 votes
fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

I think the only restriction is the field 'epic status' (different and independent from status field of the epic). The epics with epic status set to done are not going to be shown when looking epics.

Paul_Ericson October 1, 2019

Even more confused now. Doing JQL queries I can see the "Epic Status" and "status" are both fields. Both have possible values that appear to be workflow states. "Epic Status" can only have the workflow states for our configured workflow, but "status" can have up 15, only 3 of which are workflow states in our configured workflow.

Attempting to do a bulk change, I am unable to modify "status", only "Epic Status" via "Transition through workflow". "Edit" doesn't appear to allow modification of either attribute.

The goal is to get stories linked to Epic via a bulk change. But none of my Epic are available in the "Epic Link" field in the bulk change 'Edit" attribute screen. Oddly I can see Epic from other Jira project, but none from my project.

All our Epics are in "To Do" or "In Progress" as values for "status". None of our Epics appear to have a value set for "Epic Status".

Perhaps this is the problem. In Cloud Jira, how do we set "Epic Status" to test this?

And why is this a even a problem? We've set the status as would be expected using the Cloud UI, so it's reasonable to expect the Epic should be available for linking.

Also, our project is "Next-Gen" type, not Classic. 

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 1, 2019

Jira works that way, it shows every epic, not only the ones in the project or something like that, as far as I know that's a bug/problem/unresolved question that is there for a long time (see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12016).

The fact that other epics appear in the bulk change window is the "normal" jira behaviour, the fact that your epics doesn't appear seems very strange. you can't find them even starting to type the key or the epic name?

I told you about the epic status so you know that if they have epic status = done they are not being shown.

Also, jira shows every status in the list, not only the ones in the project or in the workflow

Also, jira also shows every possible 'epic status' that happens to have only three possible values (I have realized now that maybe this field works different in cloud and in server that is where I work)

It's messy, but we're talking about jira...

Paul_Ericson October 1, 2019

It's likely more complicated than Cloud vs Server. As we are on a Next-Gen project type. "Epic Status" appears to be unpopulated since JQL queries are not returning any Epics for all three values in our workflow. Only the "status" attribute seems to contain the Epic workflow status.

I'm not even sure Next-Gen projects support Epic Links. Stories appear to need to be children of the Epic for other parts of the Next-Gen project to function.

fran garcia gomera
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 1, 2019

sorry I couldn't help and my tips gave no clue.

Paul_Ericson October 2, 2019

You helped clarify several things.

Thank you!

Suggest an answer