Software or Plugin for Shipping and receiving inventory

Micah Billman December 10, 2021

Hi,

So I have an operation where we are receiving and shipping serialed devices.  All these serial numbers are stored in our CMDB in Insights.  We work out of Excel documents and upload our work into the CMDB at the end of each day via a CSV import.   We just switched to a new model for said device that contains 16-digit serial numbers.  Excel does not play nice with 16+ digit numbers (it turns the 16th digit into a "0").  There are formatting options in Excel that allow 16-digit numbers, but all that formatting is lost when you save as CSV (in order to import).  We've tried other spreadsheet applications but it doesn't have the collaboration features we would like (I'e. one person working on inbounds another person on shipping out, but using the same document).  Google Sheets is not an option because we don't have a corporate agreement with them.

Is there a plugin or another solution with an API that maps directly to our CMDB that we can work out of that would allow us to accommodate these new serial numbers?

1 answer

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 10, 2021

I would recommend that you take a look at RightStar ScanStar, it integrates with Insight and allows you scan and update assets from a phone. We evaluated it earlier this year.

Micah Billman December 13, 2021

Did you end up implementing it?  What were the results of the evaluation?

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2021

No, we didn't, and the reason was that we decided to go with a buy and hold solution via a vendor. But the app is good and the team behind it is really responsive to questions and requests.

Suggest an answer