Software Development Workflow Scheme > workflow

Chris Molnar April 26, 2016

Why does it auto-reassign an issue to the project owner when an issue is moved on a kanban board? And how do I change this to retain the assigned user when an issue is moved?

2 answers

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 29, 2016

Hi Chris

The issue is caused by the 3rd post function. It says Assign the issue to the lead developer. If you were using components and had component leads assigned this would assign the issue to the component lead. If you are not using component leads, then it actually assigns the issue to the project lead...or at least that is what I expect is happening.

To resolve this just delete the 3rd post function. Hover over the right hand side of that row and you should see some icons - click the X icon to delete it. Your workflow will be in draft mode so don't forget to click the Publish Draft button. 

0 votes
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2016

You might check your workflow and see if the transitions have post functions which are assigning the issue.

Chris Molnar April 27, 2016

A screenshot of the workflow is attached. I don't know what I'm looking for or what to change. Can you advise?

Chris Molnar April 27, 2016

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 11.31.02 AM.png

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2016

Difficult to say what could be going on here but it may be related to this article

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/configuring-auto-assign-779158849.html

If you switch to graphical view on the workflow I think it is easier to follow. When you move an issue to In Progress I suspect you are clicking a button called Start Progress. This button executes a transition. Click on the transition labelled Start Progress in the workflow diagram. A dialog box should appear showing the details for the transition. Click on post-functions.

The list of post functions for that transition should be displayed. Check the names on them and see if any are set up to change the assignee.

Chris

Chris Molnar April 28, 2016

I read the article. And I looked at the workflow rules. The rule is in place to allow assignment:

Assign the issue to the current user. Please note that the issue will only be assigned to the current user if the current user has the 'Assignable User' permission.

And the user is part of a developer group that I believe has Assignable User perms (I did not remove it). Although I'm not real clear on how to verify that. Do you know?

Attached is a graphical view screenshot. Users do not click a Start Progress button, they simply drag the issue from To Do column to the In Progress column and it gets re-assigned to me (project owner). Ss of post functions also attached. 

Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 12.59.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-28 at 12.00.55 PM.png

Chris Molnar May 2, 2016

Hey Chris Dunne, do you have any further thoughts here?

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 2, 2016

Did you try my suggestion to delete the 3rd postfunction?

Chris Molnar May 2, 2016

Ok trying that. I don't have a lead dev defined, but maybe it's defaulting to the project owner. Will let you know. Thanks. 

Chris Molnar May 4, 2016

It worked. Thanks Chris Dunne. 

Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2016

Glad to help. Can you mark this as the answer?

Suggest an answer