Socket Read Timed Out Error - Migrating JIRA from mySQL to Oracle.

Leighton Leighton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 3, 2011

I have taken a backup from our current production instance of JIRA, which uses a mySQL database instance. Recently i created a test environment to install a development version of JIRA into which connects to an Oracle database, to validate prior to migrating to a new production instance of JIRA connected to an Oracle Database.

During the 'Restore data from XML' the import is failing. Here is an exert from the log file.

"Running JIRA Data Import...

Importing XML data...

Start parsing XML with SAX Parser.

XML successfully parsed.

Removing all entries from the database.

All entries removed.

Started storing 246975 Generic Values.

2011-06-29 19:36:41,103 pool-5-thread-6 ERROR admin 1175x392x1 1ilnyml ***.***.***.** /secure/admin/XmlRestore.jspa [jira.action.admin.OfbizImportHandler] Exception importing entity: org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: Exception while inserting the following entity: [GenericEntity:Action][id,10025][body,Often Raised, Never Fixed. Mar-caffe.][author,*******][updated,2009-08-18 09:30:52.0][created,2009-08-18 09:30:52.0][issue,10040][type,comment][updateauthor,*******] (Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Socket read timed out))

org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericDataSourceException: Exception while inserting the following entity: [GenericEntity:Action][id,10025][body,Often Raised, Never Fixed. Mar-caffe.][author,*******][updated,2009-08-18 09:30:52.0][created,2009-08-18 09:30:52.0][issue,10040][type,comment][updateauthor,*******] (Unable to esablish a connection with the database. (Socket read timed out))"

Note: For posting purposes i have removed usernames and IP addresses etc.

There are heaps of these Socket read timed out errors.

Any ideas on how i approach troubleshooting this issue would be appreciated.

2 answers

0 votes
Leighton Leighton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 17, 2011

Thanks for your input Martin. I found the issue in the end was related to an issue in resolving the dns names, and a port that had not been opened up. I also did the restore of data from an existing instance using http://localhost/ (ie opening the JIRA client on the server itself). The restore took many hours, but worked successfully. The test connection function in the JIRA Config tool is a good indication. If this is not connecting successfully, don't try restoring data until you have resolved this point. Once we had this test connection resolving correctly the import went without a hitch. :)

0 votes
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 3, 2011

Hi Leighton

More info is needed to really get into detail i.e. versions of java, os, oracle, jira, but would go back to basics and doublecheck all the configurations, If it does succesfully make a connection at times, then would jump to the troubleshooting section, which has some settings to survive connection closures and setting the SetBigStringTryClob property

* Firewall - make sure the machine Jira is on can see the Oracle db

* Permissions, double check the credentials being used to connect to the oracle db are correct (no typos)

* Make sure you have the compatible version of the oracle jdbc driver (compatible with verison of Java/Jira and Oracle)

* Check the url connection string

* Double Check the ATlassian Guides

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Connecting+JIRA+to+Oracle

* Troubleshooting pages:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Configuring+Datasource+for+Oracle+10g+JDBC+drivers

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+and+Oracle

Hope that points you in the right direction

Suggest an answer