Smart tag or method to get a parent (Epic) for User Story

Alex Shirokko June 1, 2022

Hi folks! 

I'm facing a challenge while creating an automation rule for the user story that is a child of the Epic (parent).

Trigger: Value changes for a custom field 

Condition: If a value is greater than 11 

Action: send an email. 

Now the problem starts... I need to show in my email that this user story is a child of the Epic. If it would be a sub-task - no question BUT with a user story.. I cannot come up with a solution. I perused different resources and some people suggesting to do it via creating branching --> create variable (action). To be very honest I cannot envision how it can be done. 

Any thoughts/ suggestions, guys? Thank you in million in advance!

1 answer

0 votes
Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2022

Hi @Alex Shirokko,

Are you wanting to get a link or the name of the epic via smart values?

Cheers,

Simeon.

Alex Shirokko June 5, 2022

Hi Simmo, 

I want to get both! 

thank you

Simmo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 5, 2022

Hi @Alex Shirokko,

You can use smart values to get both:

{{issue.Epic.key}} 
{{issue.Epic.self}}

The first will return the epic key (you can also do .name) and the second returns a link to the epic.

Cheers,

Simeon.

Alex Shirokko June 12, 2022

Hi @Simmo , 

Many thanks for your suggestions. 

I changed my project's hierarchy and eliminated the Epic issue type completely. I had so many limitations with having it.

May I ask you a question related to a different scenario?

I have a subtask that handles some custom fields. This subtask can exist only for two types of issue types (parents): let's call them "Major" and Minor". 

My automation rule is:

My trigger: Any change to a custom field "Rating"

My condition: is greater than 5

My action is to send an email. 

In the email, I have a bunch of different smart values to show changes BUT what I need to show is the issue type of the parent "User Story" or "Task". So in the email, it will be shown that this rating relates to the User Story "Name" or to the Task "Name".

Thank you in advance,

Al

Simmo
Atlassian Team
June 13, 2022

Hi @Alex Shirokko,

Probably the best bet for this one is to setup a test rule using one of these sub tasks, see https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/test-a-jira-automation-rule-using-the-manual-trigger/ and https://support.atlassian.com/cloud-automation/docs/debug-an-automation-rule/

Then you can have a play around. I think you can access it via the parent property.

{{issue.parent.issuetype}}

And see what you get. You may need to experiment a little.

Cheers,

Simmo

Suggest an answer