Smart Mentions in JIRA 7.2x

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 10, 2017

Hi Guys

I have seen JIRA 7.2.x is coming out with Smart Mentions as explained below.

• Smart mentions bring the people already involved in your conversation to the top of your list when you hit "@", no need to search for someone you know is involved in the issue to mention them

But, this doesn't explain who all are considered as "people INVOLVED". Does anyone know this ? 

If I mentioned person X in a comment (using @mention), would the same user be added to the said 'people involved' in this ticket ? 

Thanks, Vishnu. 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Julien Rey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 15, 2017

Hi Vishnu,

You are correct about the fact that the release notes of JIRA 7.2.x does not provide details about how the "smart mentions" feature works, especially regarding which types of user are considered as "involved people in the ticket".

1. There is unfortunately no official documentation yet about this feature, but basically it works according the following rules:
    The people "involved" in the ticket include: assignee, reporter, commenters, watchers, voters. Please note that it does not include people mentioned in the description or other comments.
  2. The more relevant users are displayed first. Relevancy is determined by issue involvement (assignee > reporter > commenter > watcher > voter), and commenters with more recent comments are considered more relevant than those with older comments.

I hope that it helps you understand this feature better.

Julien

Vishnukumar Vasudevan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 16, 2017

Thanks Julien

Angie Affolter February 12, 2019

Is there a way to turn this functionality off?  Is there a reason we might have recently just seen this functionality even though we're on 7.9?

Suggest an answer