Smart Links - where is the title coming from?

Sagi May 18, 2023

When Jira shorten your links, where is the title of the link coming from?

I've found that the page's title is not necessarily the name that shows in the smart link in Jira.

I need to know which meta attribute to add to my site that Jira uses in the smart link.

2 answers

0 votes
Sagi May 23, 2023

Hello,

Can someone answer this?

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2023

Hi @Sagi and welcome to the Community!

Smart links embed content from literally dozens of different sources, so that is hard to say. How smart links handle Confluence pages, cards from Atlas, content from Figma, Miro, Google, Microsoft, ... is all different.

It is even possible to determine how your smart link is displayed. Depending on the source, that may be ranging from just displaying the original url up to a fully functional, embedded piece of content. Yet again, that may differ too based on the original source.

Hope this helps; for a more precise answer, it might be helpful if you could share more details about what type of link you refer to.

Sagi May 19, 2023

Hi @Walter Buggenhout I'll clarify my use case.

I'm referring to the text written in the smart link of the type Inline (not a Card).

For example, if I go to this page https://www.bbc.com/news/business-65643064, Jira turns it into this text "China overtakes Japan as world's top car exporter":

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 13.57.00.png

Jira is taking this text from the site -- but from which attribute is it taking it exactly?
I know it's not taking it from simply the title of the page, because for some other sites it behaves differently.

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 19, 2023

I do not know what happens exactly in the black magic that's cooking underneath smart links, but I do see on that website link you shared that the text used for the smart link is tagged as the <title> attribute in the website head section. Which seems to make sense, if you ask me.

Sagi May 19, 2023

@Walter Buggenhout

Take a look at this link for example: https://docs.forescout.com/bundle/admin-guide-8-1-x/page/admin-guide-8-1-x.Customizing-Basic-Policy-Settings.html

The title of the page is "Customizing Basic Policy Settings".

But Jira shortens the link to show "Forescout Documentation Portal":

Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 19.01.44.png

I need to understand how Jira decides on the text, so I can change the attribute on my website accordingly.

Thanks

Suggest an answer