Skiped numbers in ticket numeration sequence

Luciano Correa
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 20, 2024

Hi, i am having a problem in my jira sw cloud instance. This started yesterday when the ticket numeration sequence started to jump numbers.. not one or two.. hundreds of numbers. Our numeration in this project was around 19483 (this is the last number that follows the sequence). then it jumps to 67536 -> 78654 -> 86786 -> 89798 -> .... -> 94221.. then it continues the normal behaviour by increasing +1 in each new ticket. 94222, 94223...

i have no idea why this happened and if there is any way to solve it reindexing or renumerating the created tickets.

Does anyone have an issue like this?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

Hello @Luciano Correa 

It is not possible to renumber issues within a project.

Have you confirmed that the skipped numbers were not actually created as issues? If an issue is created and then moved to another project then that would make it look like numbers were skipped. You can test that by searching for the issue key in the original project for one of the skipped numbers. If it was a created issue that was moved then Jira will automatically redirect you to it's new key.

It is also possible to force a jump in numbers through a CSV import.

If neither of these explains your situation then you may want to contact Atlassian support directly to see if they can find the answer.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 20, 2024

There was a typo in my response. I meant to say "renumber" but auto-correct made it "remember" in the first sentence. I have corrected that.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events