Single nextgen roadmap and features (epics) that span multiple projects?

Emma Allison December 15, 2021

I just joined a new company as the vp of product/engineering manager and have been an avid user of Jira for almost a decade. I have always used jira classic, but my new company has implemented jira nextgen. 

I'm running into a few issues and wondering if anyone has figured out some creative workarounds before I migrate everything back to jira classic. 

Problems: 

• Features (epics) require work from multiple teams. I.e. Android, iOS, backend may all be contributing to a feature. How can I create an object that houses tasks from multiple projects?
  • As vp of product, I want to see the entire body of work the teams are producing. How can I create a single view of work in progress? I used to use Jira Dashbaords, but all of the gadgets were built with Classic in mind and all have serious bugs with NextGen (for example, can't create an epic view).

We are too small of a team to be so siloed by projects, but it's beneficial to have separate projects for things that have separate release schedules...

Would love to hear how other have navigated this. 

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Yuri Lapin _Release Management_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 19, 2021

Hi @Emma Allison

Trust you are well.

If you would like to consider Marketplace Apps in our Release Management & Roadmaps you can aggregate fixVersions and Epics from different Classic, TMP, CMP projects into a single view.

You can also switch between Board, Roadmap and Calendar view plus get Release Notes out of the box.

Give us a shout if you want a quick demo.

p.s. The App is free for small teams up to 10 users.

Cheers,

Yuri.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

Hi Emma,

is migrating to CMP projects and using Epics not an option? indeed TMP is siloed by design.

Hi Jack!

I will probably migrate to CMP as a last resort... but wanted to see if what I am trying to do is possible. It seems intuitive that Jira's newer functionality is so limited and I am trying to embrace the new. 

If there isn't a way to do this, then I will definitely go the CMP route. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2021

I don’t know of any way of achieving this without some caveat that you would run into.

Thanks for the input! Sounds like CMP is likely the way to go. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2021

Likely. You could create a combined dashboard to illustrate cross TMP activities but not an epic across projects. And I don’t believe that Premium Advanced Roadmaps supports TMP (yet).

Suggest an answer