Showing total time estimate in sprint

Cliona Kehoe February 9, 2018

Hi,

Is there any way I can get the total estimated time for all the issues shown at the top of the sprint to appear?

I have changed the card layout to display the time estimated per issue, but I need to be able to see the total of all issues in the sprint.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2018

I know this isn't quite what you're after, but if you look at Reports -> Burndown Chart and have the dropdown set to Original Time Estimate, you will see the number you're after.

Thanks! That helps a bit.

It's more the step beforehand that I'm look at, when we are deciding what issues should go into our two week sprint. 

We can see the individual time estimate on each issue, but it would be helpful if we could see the total time as we add issues to our sprint!

Like # people like this
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2018

In the Backlog view, I get the details below showing under the items added to the sprint, where the right hand Estimate is the Original Time Estimate

Picture0002.jpg

What way do you have your card layout configured? I have added Original Estimate to my card layout and I am not seeing the original estimate appear in my backlog.

Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2018

you're right, it is specific to the way we have our settings, see below

Picture0003.jpg

Like # people like this
Paweł Josiek March 7, 2019

I have exactly the same settings but still don't see such summary below backlog list.

Like Victor Ghevondyan likes this
Raphael TANT June 30, 2019

This has been asked for years to Atlassian, but like any monopolistic company they do not care what customer are asking ,could not wait to have something to replace them ...

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2019

It has indeed been asked a lot.  But Atlassian answered the question right away, and it's not a case of them not doing stuff any more, the question is about what you are not misunderstanding or not doing.

Javier Garcia December 11, 2019

So what do I have to do to see the total time estimate when you are planning a sprint?

My estimation settings are already like the ones shown above

Like Kelly Kuzemchak likes this
Raphael TANT September 10, 2020

Funny enough, 1 year later ... same problem ... see my comment above. 

So frustrating ...

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2020

Your comment implies you think Atlassian have something to fix here.  But they don't, it's about what you are not doing or understanding.

Javier Garcia September 13, 2020

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist-sorry, what is it that we are not understanding? Do you mean that there is already a way to obtain this? In that case, could you please explain what we need to do?

Thanks!

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2020

I mean that Raphael is not understanding where the problem is.  There is nothing to fix on the Atlassian side, it's on your side. 

The problem is that you are putting sprint estimates on sub-tasks.  Which can't work because you burn-down on the commitment you made, not things you didn't.  Stop doing that, and you'll find the sprint estimates work.

Like Zaheer Khan likes this
Stephen Meehan March 27, 2023

I had the same issue with Sprint not showing the total time at the bottom and realised that the 'Estimate' section on the left under 'Board Settings' needed changing from 'Story Points' to 'Original Time Estimate'. It now shows the total.

0 votes
Zaheer Khan October 10, 2022

you need to change the estimation method on the backlog and on the Active sprints to be the same, ideally, they should be using Original Estimate with the Time tracking option switched on. 

0 votes
Chris Hulsman September 8, 2022

When i'm listing sprints and want see total hours in sprint, I did the following:

List all issues in 'list view' (right hand selector)

Add in the extra column 'Original estimate' (right hand filter)

Filter by the sprint

0 votes
Vladimir Jacko April 21, 2020

You can use JQL

issueFunction in aggregateExpression("Total Estimate for all Issues", "originalEstimate.sum()", "Remaining work", "remainingEstimate.sum()")  and sprint in openSprints()  and project = XXX

from https://scriptrunner.adaptavist.com/latest/jira/jql-functions.html.

But I prefer to use SQL+JQL Driver plugin instead.

Suggest an answer