Should story be "more general" level then task in issue hierarchy?

Lukasz Czarnecki November 1, 2012

When chosing issue type I have taks, bug and story on the same level. They appear on board in the same way, they can only have sub tasks attached to them. Shouldn't it be this way that story is something bigger containing group of tasks?

For example:

story - logging in

tasks - logging screen, facebook login, email login

and subtasks - atomic activities connected to tasks

How should I use stories properly to have everything tracked properly?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2012

It sounds like you're best off with the Structure plugin from ALMWorks which can do what you're looking for.

Cheers,
Shaun

0 votes
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 1, 2012

In the example you give, I would suggest tasks and sub tasks are merged as all sub tasks of the logging in story.

For bugs relating to the story an option is to create a new issue type called story bug which is esentially a sub task of the story too. So when you create a sub tasks on a story you would have the option to select it as a sub task or a story bug.

At a higher level than stories you have epics which are broken out into multiple stories.

But I have only 2 levels still. Under story I would have big sub tasks like "facebook login" and "providing facebook login button" on the same level. I would like to have them on 3 levels- logging in-> facebook login -> facebook login button. Something like story -> task -> subtask. Is this order possible in some way?

So is it possible to have few stories under one epic?

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

No this is not possible. It sounds like you think the login story is too big for one sprint? If that is the case, consider making Login an epic and spitting it into a faceboom login story, email login, etc. Does that make sense?

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 1, 2012

Yes, epics are collections of stories.

Epics are not available in GreenHopper 6 yet. In v5 Classic, this page should help:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Working+with+Epics+in+GreenHopper+Classic

Lukasz Czarnecki November 6, 2012

That should be something like this- But there is no alternative in GH6? I know there are labels but I suppose I can't track time associated with one label and this is the funcionality I want for every level of task hierarchy.

boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2012

if you are using GreenHopper 6.0.6 or higher you can enable the Epics Support labs feature

Suggest an answer