Should I change the assignee of the story ticket to the developer working on the last subtask?

ph101 December 8, 2022

I am assigned a story with say 10 subtasks. 3 out of the ten subtasks are to be handled by others. I finished all my subtasks, but there's one subtask left to be completed because that developer is busy with something else. Should I assign the whole story to him to avoid having this story under my name left hanging?

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 8, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Probably not.  The assignee of an issue, whatever level it is at (Epic, Story, sub-task) is the person ultimately responsible for getting the issue sorted.

If you have assigned a sub-task to Bob, then Bob should get the issue sorted.  Even when you are the owner of the parent issue, then it's up to you to get the issue done.  You've just chosen to task Bob with getting part of it done, and in most cases, people would expect you to remain the "owner" of the issue, they are not that bothered that you have delegated part of it to Bob.  But they would expect you to chase Bob if Bob is not delivering.  They would expect to come to you, the owner and responsible person for the story. 

And when the story gets completed, you, the assignee, should get recognised as the person who got it done.

Suggest an answer