Sharing lookup tables between rules

Damien Lepage
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 25, 2024

The lookup tables have been a great addition to Jira automation. It would be awesome to be able to share them between rules.

We currently use the same lookup table within 5 automation rules, with about 50 entries, which creates a bit of maintenance burden as the data changes regularly.

I couldn't find any open suggestion for this improvement but hoping it can be taking into consideration. Meanwhile, does anyone know of a potential workaround to share config data between rules?

1 answer

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2024

Hi @Damien Lepage 

There are several open suggestions related to that idea, and some posts in the original article on Lookup Tables asking for sharing / reuse:

One possible workaround is a bit convoluted:

• store your key / value data in a CSV file
  • attach that file to one, known Jira issue in your project
  • using the REST API, load the attachment, with the Send Web Request action
  • use list and text functions, such as match(), to access the elements you need

This should have no more / less limitations of scoping as a Lookup Table.  But it will not have the helpful, built-in functions the Atlassian team added for lookups.

Kind regards,
Bill

Damien Lepage
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 26, 2024

Thanks @Bill Sheboy ! Appreciate the pointers.

AUTO-472 and AUTO-736 would help make the workaround less clunky.

For anyone with the appropriate permission, it may be worth opening a separate Suggestion for just sharing a lookup table between multiple rules (or introducing global lookup tables I guess).

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events