Sharing Components between Projects

Andrew A July 23, 2012

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating the JIRA tracking system. One of the important requirements we have for a system is the ability to report at the Component level.

Our plan is to have a consistent set of Components across all projects, these Components will map to our development teams.

The objective is that the Management level can then report on the upcoming work associated with each Component. Also at project completoin they should be able to track the resource expenditure per Component.

Does this functionality exist in JIRA? If so can you please explain how I can configure this?

Thanks

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2012

No and yes.

No, because the system "component" field does not really support this. You can get close by setting up components in each project with identical names, because you can then filter consistently, but some reporting will still see them all as separate entities.

Yes though, because you can add a select or multi-select list with a single context and make it global, effectively replacing the system component field. It won't be quite as functional (project reports on components, component leads etc), but you'll be able to do cross-project reporting on a single component.

19 votes
sbricchi June 6, 2013

It would be good to have cross project components...

6 votes
Angelos November 21, 2013

x-project components can lead into other problems. i.e. you may have a different component lead in different projects and that adds other limitations.

What I would really need to have is a method of linking components for reporting purposes - (even if they had dissimilar names). Naming them consistently gets around this issue, but then as it's mentioned above reports still treat them as separate entities.

0 votes
Jeremy Dibble November 11, 2013

Agreed!

Suggest an answer