Shared mailbox IMAP access

Aivo Lelle December 4, 2011

Hi,

I can access shared mailbox using login ad/your-onyen/shared-mailbox-name from Thunderbird.

Configuting Jira in same way I get following error in the log:

2011-12-05 15:08:41,997 JiraQuartzScheduler_Worker-0 ERROR ServiceRunner My mailbox [service.services.mail.MailFetcherService] My mailbox[10020]: Error connecting to host 'mailserver.com' as user 'ad/your-onyen/shared-mailbox-name' via protocol 'imap': javax.mail.MessagingException: Connection reset;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
javax.mail.MessagingException: Connection reset;
nested exception is:
java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPStore.java:571)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:288)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.services.mail.MailFetcherService.run(MailFetcherService.java:149)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.JiraServiceContainerImpl.run(JiraServiceContainerImpl.java:67)
at com.atlassian.jira.service.ServiceRunner.execute(ServiceRunner.java:48)
at org.quartz.core.JobRunShell.run(JobRunShell.java:191)
at org.quartz.simpl.SimpleThreadPool$WorkerThread.run(SimpleThreadPool.java:516)
Caused by: java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
at java.net.SocketInputStream.read(SocketInputStream.java:168)
at com.sun.mail.util.TraceInputStream.read(TraceInputStream.java:110)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.fill(BufferedInputStream.java:218)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:237)
at com.sun.mail.iap.ResponseInputStream.readResponse(ResponseInputStream.java:97)
at com.sun.mail.iap.Response.<init>(Response.java:96)
at com.sun.mail.imap.protocol.IMAPResponse.<init>(IMAPResponse.java:61)
at com.sun.mail.imap.protocol.IMAPResponse.readResponse(IMAPResponse.java:135)
at com.sun.mail.imap.protocol.IMAPProtocol.readResponse(IMAPProtocol.java:261)
at com.sun.mail.iap.Protocol.<init>(Protocol.java:114)
at com.sun.mail.imap.protocol.IMAPProtocol.<init>(IMAPProtocol.java:104)
at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPStore.java:538)
... 6 more

Should this work? Where to start?

BR,

Aivo

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Aivo Lelle December 7, 2011
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2011

That usually means you've one or more mistakes in the parameters you are passing to the mail routine. Check the server name, user name, password and port you're giving to Jira. Check that the Jira machine can see the mail server (eg, use raw telnet to check that the server responds to you on that port/server).

It works fine with my username. Then I can access my INBOX or some other folder f.ex INBOX/foldername and issues are created.

I want to access shared mailbox and for that I can only see possibility to alter username with something like this 'domain/username/shared-mailbox-name' as there is no possibility to define these parameters.

Is there a way to access shared mailbox from Jira? I have tested with Thunderbird and it works fine so the server side is ok.

Yes I changed the real names. I'll double check again. Thanks anyway!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 4, 2011

Yes, if it's a standard IMAP or POP3 mailbox, it doesn't matter if it's shared. You say you've tested with Thunderbird - whatever username/password/server/port you put in there when you set up the access needs to go into Jira as well. If it's not working, then you need to check those settings. The error you are getting is consistent with them not being correct.

Possibly a red-herring - your log says it can't connect to "mailserver.com" - did you deliberately change that from the name of your mail server, or are you really putting in "mailserver.com"?

Suggest an answer