Share settings with an existing project? (JSM Cloud)

Catrine Lundström April 9, 2021

Hi,

Can anyone prove a list of what exactly is copied when you create a new Jira Service Management (Cloud) project, IT Service Management and choose "Share settings with an existing project"?

BR

Catrine

1 answer

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Hi @Catrine Lundström,

Don't shoot me if I am forgetting something ;-), but as far as I know the following configurations are shared:

• issue types
  • workflows
  • screens
  • fields
  • permissions
  • notifications

Your new project will actually use the same configuration schemes as the project you selected as your source.

On top of that some additional settings (from the project details page) are copied:

• project category
  • project lead
  • default assignee

Hope this helps!

Catrine Lundström April 10, 2021

Thanks!

Can you (from the top of hour head) say something that is NOT shared that you find missing?

BR

Catrine

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2021

Hi @Catrine Lundström,

Yes, definitely. I would say the two most important things you'll need to set after creating the project are permissions and a board.

Setting permissions means adding your project users to appropriate roles. If you track your project through a team board (I mean a board set up to track the work for multiple projects), then this might not be necessary. If you want a scrum or kanban board just for your project, then that's also something you'll need to add yourself. 

Like Stuart Capel - London likes this
Yatish Madhav
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 8, 2023

Thanks for the feedback @Walter Buggenhout  - Do you perhaps know of any doccos that exist that shows what is not / cannot be shared?

I also noticed that Project description, URL, Project Avatar, Versions and Components are not copied/shared when Shared settings is set.

Via the API I am able to do the same as done via that checkbox BUT cant get the Notification Scheme (https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/assign-notification-scheme-to-project-via-api/66640) set or the Project Avatar, Versions and Components

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events