Setup team capacity in JIRA

Sandra Bratt
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 19, 2020

Hi! I want to know where I add the available hours per team member in my project and in JIRA? In total I need to know how many hours are available and from that be able to check the planned sprint scope and hours and finally get a report (or at least to see if the expected hours meet the available ones or not).

Can someone help if I need to download an app to support my team capacity setup or this is basic functionality?

4 answers

2 votes
Luke Cangon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 20, 2020

Hi @Sandra Bratt !

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

You can check ActivityTimeline app, where you can see available hours for each team member  and a team as a whole. In addition to this you also get timesheet reports and planned vs. actual report to see how the expected hours meet the actual ones.

1 vote
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2020

Hi @Sandra Bratt 

Welcome to the community!

There is no out-of-the-box feature for resource planning.

But you can check apps on Atlassian Marketplace such as

Tuncay

0 votes
Marcin Geb _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 25, 2020

Hello Sandra

you mentioned sprints, individuals, and teams, so here's how I would do it in BigPicture, an easy way.

While in the Board module > Capacity tab, see fig. 1, I input capacity 10 for Iteration 1.1 for both Christopher, Claire, and Ted. Note that you can map Jira Sprints to BigPicture iterations. Also note, that the 'iterations' can be named 'sprints' in BigPicture, or whatever names you like.

Now, proceed to fig. 2 and have a look at where the green arrow points to. 26 out of 30 man-days available for Team Alfa in Iteration 1.1. have been allocated.

You might ask: can I use hours or story points instead of days? Yes, you can, especially within the Resources module of BigPicture, but I'd like to keep the tutorial simple :)

Fig. 1

capacity.png

Fig. 2

board-bigpicture.png

0 votes
Haddon Fisher
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 19, 2020

Resource\capacity planning is not (as far as I know) part of JIRA Core or JIRA Software out of the box. There are a bunch of plugins out there that add some of this functionality - depending on how much more you need, I would check out Tempo and JIRA Agile as two options.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events