Setup component for incoming mail handler

Saurav Dwivedi January 25, 2019

I have a requirement where I need to create JIRA tickets automatically based on emails to a specific email ID .

We already have a email id in place where if we send email , JIRA gets auto created . Next requirement is :

• We want to assign components , epic of JIRA through email so that it is assigned to correct component queue and correct developer to look into ?

We are mainly doing it to create JIRA tickets based on Production issues alert emails so that it is assigned to correct component lead?

Can you please let me know how can this be done

1 answer

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2019

Hello,

You could do it out of the box, if you have the Jira Service Desk installed. You could use the Jira Service Desk Automation feature.

If you do not have the Jira Service Desk, then you would need a plugin like Email This Issue or Enterprise Email handler.

Or you could do it with the Power Scripts add-on:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/43318/power-scripts-jira-script-automation?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

You could write your own email handler to set required fields:

https://confluence.cprime.io/display/JJUPIN/Mail+Handler

Saurav Dwivedi January 25, 2019

Hi

I use JIRA 4 in my organization . That too from URL .

When you say JIRA service desk installed . Is there any installation needed for that ?

And What kind of role will i need to run email handler ?

Thanks
Saurav

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 25, 2019

I am not sure about Jira 4.

Omar June 3, 2021

@Alexey Matveev How could one use the Jira Service Desk Automation feature to accomplish this task. I'm tasked with a similar problem whereas I would like to add a component to a ticket based on what alias email ID the ticket was sent to. 

For example, if an email was sent to apples@fruit.com, we would like to add the #apples component, but if the email was sent to oranges@fruit.com (alias address to apples@fruit.com), we would like the #oranges component assigned to it.

Any and all assistance is very much appreciated! 

vasanth July 31, 2023

How can we create this by using email this issue?

Setup component field or any other field for incoming mail handler.

can some one help me with this?

thank you

Suggest an answer