Setting up a board with shared tasks/stories?

Jacob Senholt November 9, 2017

Hi.

I am a product owner for 'cross-team' tasks, meaning that I don't really have any team on my own, but need to assign tasks/stories to individual teams, while still being able to track these tasks on my own board.

How do I go about this? If I assign one of the team-members of the other Projects on this task they will simply get an email, but the task will remain on my board, and not be added to their teams backlog.

Is there a way around this? Instead of my own project should I instead have a board that filters on e.g. a tag 'Project x', so that all tasks on boards tagged with project x will show up simultaneously on my board as well as on the team-boards?

However as the current setup is all teams have their own project, so this is a 'cross-project' issue. Or can I clone tasks to other boards and keep them linked to keep track of the tasks that have been assigned to other teams?

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

Hello Jacob,

What you want can be implemented very easily. Let's say you have an "Product owner" board with stories/tasks on it. Now, after you have done the refinement then you can make use of an custom field "team" (or something similar) on the issues to select the target Team. i.e. select the value of the  team from the custom field drop-down and once you do that then the issue will automatically appear on the target team's board.

Basically the target teams can have an condition on their board that fetch all the issues from project X and team "orange"  ..something like

project = X and team = "orange"

This way the moment you select the team field of an issue it will automatically appear on the target board. 

Now, you can set up your board's filters in such a way that either you want to see only issues with "team" field as empty so that once you select the team field value then that issue dissapears from your board and appears on the team's board. Or you can continue to have the issue on your board (kanban board) and the team board can be scrum board. As one issue can't be part of two active sprints in JIRA.

Jacob Senholt November 9, 2017

Excellent. Thanks for the input. Will try to fiddle around with that.

0 votes
Jessica Maldonado January 10, 2022

@tarun! I have different situation... I´ve already created a board per team and also the field "Team" to apply different filters. But do you know why stories that are under an epic are not appearing in different boards even when they have the correct filter applied? 

Thanks!

0 votes
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 9, 2017

Hello,

You need to define boards on a jql filter not a project. You need to create as many boards as the number of your teams. In each jql you can define "assignee in (all team members)". Then if you assign an issue it will fall on the right board. 

Suggest an answer