Setting resolution based on status

Lydia Hawkridge October 6, 2021

Hi jira friends,

I am having an issue with statuses.

When an issue is moved to the status "Done" - the resolution is set to resolved.

When an issue is moved to the custom statuses "Passed" or "No Furtehr Action" - the resolution should also be set to resolved but it is not. 

I believe the post-function is not setup correctly but I am not sure how it should be setup and how to even get to post-functions.

Please help! This is messing up my reports :(

Thanks,

Lydia

2 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2021

Hi Lydia,

I’m going to assume, based on your post, that you are using a CMP project. In order to set the resolution as you stated you need to add a post function to the transitions to the desired statuses. Follow these steps:

1. Go into project settings
  2. click on workflows
  3. Edit the desired workflow in diagram mode
  4. Click on the transition into the desired status where you want the resolution to be set
  5. On the right you will see various options click on post functions
  6. In the post function screen select add post function
  7. in the list of post functions near the bottom I think select the one for editing the field value
  8. In the next screen select resolution and select the desired value
  9. Repeat this for each unique transition into any status where you want to set the resolution.
  10. Next you’re going to want to also clear the resolution when you exit any status where the resolution has been set.The purpose of this is to ensure that the resolution is only set in the desired ‘done statuses’
  11. Once you’re done be sure to publish your workflow. You may want to make a backup copy here as well. 
Lydia Hawkridge October 19, 2021

Thanks, @Jack Brickey I am following your instructions, but I can't see the post functions section...?

Am I in the right place? Any reasons why I wouldn't see it, I am an admin so shouldn't be limited for that reason. I'm sure Ive seen it before so I know it exists but can't find it now?

Screenshot 2021-10-19 at 20.47.07.png

Like # people like this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2021

You have selected the Status not the transition. Please select the arrow entering the Passed status.

Like # people like this

AHHHHHHHHHH and that is what forums are for.  Thank you @Jack Brickey I think I'm flying now. Much appreciated! 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 19, 2021

You are most welcome @Lydia Hawkridge

Sneha Sasikumar January 14, 2022

I was able to follow the steps and do this. But i do have a doubt. 

• I do have a custom status called duplicate 
  • when i look at its post function, the resolution was set to Done
  • however when i check it says unresolved
  • then i add another explicit post setting it to resolve 
  • now when a status changes to duplicate it sets it to resolved.jira post.png
Rachele NGAI AGUEB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 10, 2023

@Jack Brickey  thank you so much!!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Vova Dehtiarov
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 4, 2023

@Jack Brickey Thank you! Worked like a charm

Beth Greenwood
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 14, 2023

I am having the same issue but when I view my post functions, I don't have an option for anything to do with Resolution or the ability to add something that's not on the list.  How do I get something new added here? 

Screenshot 2023-12-14 at 12.55.18 PM.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 14, 2023

Hi @Beth Greenwood , choose Update field value, and in the next screen choose Resolution and use the value of Done. 

0 votes
Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 7, 2021

Hi @Lydia Hawkridge 👋

How did you get on with @Jack Brickey's steps? Just intrigued from another users perspective (sorry for being nosey!) 😅

All the best,

Laura 

Not quite yet :) @Laura Holton _ACE Rotterdam_ 

Suggest an answer