Setting further comment restrictions when using Service Desk

BenB December 16, 2014

For a non-SD project I am able to set restrictions on comments based on project role. For the SD enabled projects I am only given 2 options: Customer and Internal, where internal is defined as collaborators. I would like the ability to further restrict internal comments just as when SD was not enabled, but this option does not seem available.

2 answers

0 votes
ngocquangho April 12, 2017

I finally find out a temporary workaround while waiting for official support from JIRA Service Desk:

When comment on any ticket, we can now select comment security for Internal comment, with default is the Developers group.

Hope this can help.

0 votes
Paula Silveira
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 17, 2014

Hi Benjamin,

You can set comment permission on SD project by the same way you did for the other projects.

• Access JIRA as administrator
  • Click on cogwheel icon
  • Select Projects
  • Search for the SD project then click on it
  • Click on Administration tab
  • Search for Roles (left menu) then click on it
  • There you'll see the roles and the users/groups on it
  • Search for Project Permissions (left menu) then click on it
  • Search for Add comments permission
  • Once you find it, remove the roles that should not be able to comment

This changes will be applied also for Service Desk, not only when you see the project as a normal JIRA project.

Thanks and regards,
Paula Silveira

BenB December 17, 2014

Hey, Paula.

Thanks for the prompt response, however I don't think we are speaking about the same thing. I am not referring to users being allowed to add comments, but the restriction on which users can read them. 

In a non-SD project I am able to select which users are allowed to view the comment based on role:

Non-SD-Comment.png

However, for SD projects, this option to set a restriction based on role is not available, only "Respond to Customer" via the portal or "Internal comment" which is already set for agents and collaborators. No further restriction seems possible. 

SD_Comment.png

Is it possible to keep the optional role-based restriction on SD-enabled projects?

Thanks again.

mumms System Administrator January 9, 2015

I have the exact seem requirement. For my example it's basically like this; I want to have the manager of a client's organization be able to view a ticket (via logging into JIRA) and be able to comment, but not see comments that are restricted to only my organizations employees.

mumms System Administrator January 9, 2015

I would like to use SD but retain the comment permission granularity that is available on non-SD enabled projects.

Nick Ragusa June 26, 2015

Hi Ben, Have you heard back on this yet, perhaps from Atlassian support directly? I'm in the same boat and am curious if there's a workaround for this... Nick

Denis Boisvert May 3, 2016

Anyone have any news on this?

Manish_Kumar August 15, 2016

I am also struggling with same issue. anybody have answer for this?

David Capelo September 21, 2016

Disable the Jira Service Desk comments module in order to use the regular JIRA comments functionality:
* Click the Administration Cog and go to Add-Ons
* Select Manage add-ons from the left-hand menu.
* Locate your JIRA Service Desk Add-On and expand this item to see further details.
* Click the link that shows "X of Z modules enabled.
* Locate the service-desk-comment-field item in the expanded list, click the "Disable" button.

Monika Agarwal July 26, 2017

Hi David,

I have followed the same steps comments are not coming as internal now. But on customer portal still comment is not coming. can you please help here how we can resolve this.

Suggest an answer