Setting a user password explicitly

Tal Lavi June 15, 2018

Hi,

We're using JIRA on cloud. I understand that since the consolidation of jira logins into attlasian IDs, admins can no longer change passwords directly.

But what do I do if I need a user without a mail, for example, a read only public user for displaying on dashboards, etc.

Do I have to create a mail for it in order to change a password and do a login? 

Thanks,

Tal

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Adrián Plaza [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2018

Hi @Tal Lavi,

Welcome to this community :)

You can make projects to public access in the permission scheme, with the option: "Group: Anyone"Screenshot_1.pngAnd after that, you can create public dashboards for this publics projects.

I hope this help, Cheers,

Adrián.

Tal Lavi June 15, 2018

Thanks for the very swift answer. I'm afraid I haven't explained myself well enough. I don't want it to be public for anyone, but public in my organization. Meaning - I do want people to have to login, but it's an unattended machines, and many people should be able to login, so it makes sense to me to make a single "public" username, with a known password, and just let people have it. It seems weird to me that I have to create a mail account just for that.

Tal

Adrián Plaza [DEISER]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 15, 2018

Hi @Tal Lavi,

Thanks for the explanation, I am afraid that is totally necessary to create this "general" account with an attached email to allow the users to login in Jira.

Cheers,

Adrián.

Tal Lavi June 15, 2018

Thanks Adrian (and also Moses).

I was afraid of that. Our IT is not too crazy about dummy accounts which are not linked to users, that's why I wanted to circumvent this.

It's odd to me that JIRA doesn't let me just define a user if I wish so.. 

Thanks again,

Tal

1 vote
Moses Thomas
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2018

@Tal Lavi  I was thinking  What  if you don't not want any  one to  browse project ?

Well  in your thoughts you  could have this  user created  with  a  valid  email  set user password,(can be made public)  give user access to  project,  as project  admin  and use  this user's  account to  display board etc.

best!

Suggest an answer