Setting GMT Time Format under Look and Feel

Sameera Shaakunthala [inactive]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2011

We have a JIRA 4.3.2 standalone installation on a linux host. The server's local time & timezone are set to GMT.

Under Administration --> Look and Feel, if set up the format as HH:mm:ss ZZZ time is dispalyed as 09:20:02 Etc/GMT.

How do I remove the 'Etc' part? Is there any combination of Zs that I can apply, or do I need to edit any templete/ configuration file?

Ideally time should be shown as 09:20:02 GMT.

1 answer

0 votes
MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2011

To get GMT you use a lower case 'z'

e.g.

kk:mm z - 12:16 BST

dd/MM/yyyy kk:mm z - 02/09/2011 12:16 BST

The etc is because you're on a Linux host:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/glibc-bugs/2005-10/msg00071.html

Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2011

Thanks for the answer.

Using one simple z makes the timezone part '+00:00'

Eg: 20/Jul/2011 05:29 +00:00

Is there any tweak that can be applied to the host OS?

MatthewC
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2011
  • What JDK or JRE are you using?
  • What flavour of Linux?
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2011
  • JRE version 1.6.0_26
  • Linux SuSe Enterprise Server

Suggest an answer