Set value of custom field based on value on Epic

Graham Meinke April 24, 2023

When creating an issue I want to set the default value for a custom field to be the same as that on the Epic from which the issue is being created. I still want the user to be able to change the selection in the creation screen, so do not want to override the selection via automation at the point the issue is created.

The field in question is called "Work Type" (customfield_10435).

I have Jira Software (Cloud) and ScriptRunner. I think I should be able to do it via a Behaviour in ScriptRunner, but all of the support articles I come across are for Jira Server/Data Centre and the behaviours work differently.

I would welcome suggestions.

2 answers

0 votes
Graham Meinke May 2, 2023

I still haven't found an answer to this and it's quite a big step backwards for us not to be able to achieve this in Jira Cloud (additional unecessary toil). I'm sure that there must be a fairly straightforward solution to this so would appreciate any other ideas from the community.

0 votes
Himanshi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 24, 2023

Hello @Graham Meinke , 

Welcome to community!

There are some discussions around a similar use case on : https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Set-assignee-based-on-custom-field-value/qaq-p/283311

A few scripts have been discussed , you can consider going through and give a try to the script mentioned after tweaking it a little with your requirement. 

I am not sure how much it would help, but thought it's worth to share. 

Have a great day !

Graham Meinke April 25, 2023

Thanks Himanshi.

Unfortunately that thread only covers setting a value based on another value on the same issue. I'm specifically looking to get the value from the associated Epic and then set that same value on the Issue in Epic.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events