Set user passwords in Atlassian Cloud

Hi there,

I am currently trying to set user passwords in my Atlassian Cloud Setup, including Jira and Confluence. After selecting a user under user managment I am missing the set password button. What I tried so far:

Following this discussion did not help. My primary user management is apparently already handled by Jira: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Confluence-questions/Confluence-user-administration-cannot-locate-links-to-disable/qaq-p/625129 

Verifying our project domain did not help either. I could not gain further user management rights through this.

I hope someone can help me out with this :)

Have a great day,

Lorenz

1 answer

0 votes

Hi Lorenz,

I had a look at your Cloud instance, and I selected one of your users, and I do see the Reset Password button on the top-right.

Can you let me know if you're having any trouble getting the password reset?

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 11.56.14 AM.png

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

thx for looking into this. Yes the reset Password button appears. However, I would like to set a specific (not reset) password for a user.

Best,

Lorenz

Hi Lorenz,

Since all Cloud instances use the Atlassian IDs as logins now, it's not possible for anyone other than the holder of the email address to set their own password.

If you want to control the user logins, then you can set up SAML single sign-on for your instance. This would then surrender control from Atlassian ID to your SAML provider.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hi Shannon,

thanks for your answer which helped a lot. How about verifying a Domain instead? Would that be possible or do I still need SAML?

Best,

Lorenz

Hi Lorenz,

When you verify your domain in Cloud without SAML, you will be able to do the following:

• Set a password policy
  • Change your employee's name
  • Change your employee's email address
  • Force a password reset

You will not be able to set a specific password for a user, but you can set a specific password policy and then force them to change their password to match the policy.

I hope this clarifies things!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,089 views 13 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot