Set summary by default, depending on Issue Type

Sara February 26, 2020

Hello, 

I would like to set a Summary by default when the issue is created depending on the issue type as I want the user set always set the same summary if the issue type is one in concrete, how can do that?

I'm using JIRA cloud.

Thanks in advance.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

@SaraWelcome to the community!

This is not directly possible as "Summary" is one of the core field in Jira and you can't hide it or remove it from required section.

As workaround you use post functions to populate value of summary field with default value.

Read this here - https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/advanced-workflow-configuration-776636620.html?#Advancedworkflowconfiguration-Usingapostfunctiontosetafield

Sara February 27, 2020

Thank you.

But what I want is when the screen, to create a new issue, is opened the field Summary was already filled, using a post-function will fill the value after the user fill all the values in the screen and click on button "Create" and this is not the behaviour I want. Is there any way to do that?

DPKJ
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 27, 2020

@SaraThat is not possible.

There are some workaround that people deploy for 'Description' field, like,

• Creating a custom field of rich text type with default value
  • Hiding original 'Description' field,
  • Showing custom (created above) in create screen, and
  • Later in post function copying value from Custom Description field to original Description field.

I have not seen/tried this for summary field but you can check if out (in my opinion it won't work).

Also, most solution you will find will be for Jira Server version and due to certain limitations in apps and scripts they will not work for Jira Cloud.

Sara February 27, 2020

I test it but doesn't work.

Thanks anyway!

0 votes
Andrea C May 10, 2021

Sorry to reply on this old question, but I was wondering if a solution was found.

I want to hide the summary in Jira Software not the customer portal (which you can hide it fine with the solution provided by @Gavin Joye )

I have the code in the description provided by @Alexander Pappert but again, it doesn't work when I am creating an issue internally (from the create button in Jira Software).

Any help is very appreciated.

0 votes
Gavin Joye June 17, 2020

After wrestling over this for weeks or more and not being able to find a solution to setting the default Summary (built-in) value for tickets of a specific Issue Type, I decided to see what my options were to replace the Summary field, which I was dreading because of what it might affect.

This may only work for my simple project, but my Issue Types are the same as the Request Type name.

For example:

• Issue Type: Employee Onboarding
    • Request Type: Employee Onboarding
  • Issue Type: Employee Offboarding
    • Request Type: Employee Offboarding

I went to Request Types -> Edited the fields for a specific Request Type name (say, the onboarding one).  Edited the fields and selected "Hide" for the Summary.  When hiding the Summary field, it asks you if you want to set a default value since it is a required field.HideSummary.PNG

I am not sure how I never came across any documentation or forum post that said anything about this.  But it is so simple, but so hidden - pun intended.

I'm not sure if this helps, since you can have multiple Request Types using a single Issue Type.  But if it is a 1:1 between the two, you can use this solution.

Sara June 17, 2020

Thank you, but this is not enough for me as I want to set a dynamic description (Fix text + value of a custom field).

Sam Bartolome
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 14, 2020

Automation for Jira will do that trick (Fix text + value of a custom field).

You still have to define a summary and then hide it as above. But the automation will do the changes

0 votes
Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2020

1.Go to the respective Field Configuration of the project.

2.Find for the Summary field.

3.Click on Edit.

4.Input the following JavaScript at the Description of the field:

<script type="text/javascript">

if (document.getElementById("summary").value == "") {

document.getElementById("summary").value = "<Default Value for Summary>\n";}

</script>

Sara February 27, 2020

I've already test it but doesn't work in jira cloud.

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2020

@Sara 

oh, didn't read that you use cloud
I use server and there it works perfectly

Sara February 27, 2020

np, @Alexander Pappert  thanks anyway

Rika Mandasari September 10, 2020

Hi @Alexander Pappert

May I ask what version of Jira Server are you using right now?

I also tried on cloud and it won't work.
Tried on Jira Server 8.7.1 it also doesn't work, but it works well on Jira Server 8.5.8

Michael Wohlgemuth
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2020

Having the same issue as @Rika Mandasari 

Had one o these "script solutions" in jira 6.4.x, worked, updated jira to 8.7.1 -> doesnt work anymore. I dont know why.

Im not expecting help or smth, i just want to let others know its not because of them.

Suggest an answer