Set notifications depending on issue type?

Andreas_Sandner May 20, 2020

Hello,

we would like to set the notifications depending on the issue type.

If a ticket of type "service request" is created, the autor should receive a notification.
However, it a ticket of type "bug" is created, the autor should NOT receive a notification.

Is there a way to do this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Don Masten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2020

We also have Automation for JIRA and I would use it.

But if both issuetypes have their own workflows. You could create a custom event (Admin > System > Event). Set the workflow post to fire the custom event and set the event to send notification to the reporter on the notification scheme. 

Andreas_Sandner June 9, 2020

But the notifications are being sent already. We want one issue type to NOT send notifications.

Don Masten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2020

Have you tried removing "Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners." from create post function on the workflow?

I just tried it, it cannot be removed. The icon to delete it is disabled.

Ok, I think I found it. You already posted the answer I needed, I only didn't understand it correctly.
I created a new event "Nothing" that does nothing and set the "Fire a Issue Created event that can be processed by the listeners." in the workflow to "Fire a Nothing event that can be processed by the listeners."
That did the trick. It's a bit more complicated than I would have liked, but it works.

Thank you.

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2020

Hi Andreas - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I would use Automation For Jira to send the notification. You can control the message, who you want to send it to and for which issue types. 

1. Go to Project Settings > Project Automation (on left-hand menu)
  2. Press Create Rule in top-right corner
  3. Select the Trigger "Issue Created" and press Save
  4. Next Select to add an Action, and choose "Edit Issue"
  5. Select the field Label
  6. Select the options icon (3-dots) - and choose "Add/remove values"
  7. Enter the value you want as a default and press Save
  8. Name your Automation and turn it on

Now when each issue is created, it will add the desired default label as long as the issue is created in that project. You might need to refresh the page after each issue creation to see it.

You can do this via global rules to apply to all projects also. You'll need to be a Jira Admin/Site Admin, then instead of going to Project Settings, go to Jira Settings (cog icon on left-hand navigation bar) > System > Automation Rules (left-hand menu).

For more on using Automation For Jira see these help pages.

Hello John_Funk,

sorry for the late reply.

I apologize, but I am not certain what that has to do with my question. I do not seek to add or edit labels.

Allow me to clarify. Whenever an issue of a certain type is created or its state is changed, an email is sent to the address entered in the autor field (the person who created the issue, or in whose name the issue was created). Now, we do want this to happen if the created issue is of type "service request". However, if the issue is of type "bug", we do not want it to send an email. Also don't want it to send an email if the issue is closed. While the issue type may concern customers, we use them for internal tracking and communication, so it's impractical that the customer receives an email whenever such an issue is created or has its state changed.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 9, 2020

Sorry, I had copied the post from a previous response. 

So create a rule as described above but in step 4 add a Condition for the Issue type.

Then step 5 add an action for Send Email. 

Follow through that process and see if you have questions.  :-)

Like Dave Liao likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events