Set default Priority to Empty

Georgiy Senenkov October 23, 2012

Hello,

I would like to configure JIRA in such order that Priority is set to Empty on Create Issue transition, i.e. by default priority is shown is empty in Create issue screen and user must select any type of priority in order to create issue.

Could you please help me how to configure it?

Thank you.

Regards, Georgiy.

5 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 23, 2012

Hi Georgiy,

Currently, I don't think that's possible. I did however find this feature request : https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-13048

Please :

* Vote, so that it will receive more attention

* Watch it, so that you will receive any and all updates

* Comment, and give your opinion on the matter

Please note that implementation of new features falls under Atlassian's Implementation of New Features Policy : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DEV/Implementation+of+New+Features+Policy

Georgiy Senenkov October 25, 2012

Thank you for information!

I voted for that feature.

0 votes
Jira Admin NSO April 19, 2021

one of the most annoying problems in Jira - which makes no sense 

if anyone managed to solve this via a script or any other workaround (which is not a new Priority custom field) please do share  

0 votes
Alex Bernardin November 7, 2019

A workaround that folks have called out before (over the 12 years that the feature request has been open) is to create a new priority value, such as 'not prioritized,' and make that the default. 

We've done that with our system, and it works well enough. 

Nick Davies December 11, 2019

We've done the same but the issue we have is we want the user to have to actively think about what the priority should be when adding the issue, or moving it to a new status. Having it required but empty would prompt them to think about it before it's moved through the workflow

We can run a filter to show all of those with 'Not Prioritsed' but it does rely on us going back and checking those regularly

Deleted user March 16, 2020

Write a transition rule to force the user to set the vale to anything other than Not Prioritised' as part of the create transition.

Gil Vinokoor May 17, 2020

Hi @[deleted] , @Nick Davies , all,

I took your advice and added a new priority called "Not Prioritized", set it as the default value, and then added a Validator to ensure it is changed as part of Transition: Create, as shown below (2 in italics).

-----

The transition requires the following criteria to be valid:

1. Only users with Create Issues permission can execute this transition.
  2. Field Priority should be modified during the transition

-----

However, it is not working for me. :(

That is, even when I create an issue, which shows default Priority = Not Prioritized, and Submit the issue, it allows this Priority value to remain "as is", not preventing the user from being able to create the issue.

Does anyone have any idea on why it's not working?

Thomas Vial November 27, 2020

Same problem here. Value remains default value set globally in JIRA, which is not the expected behiavior.

0 votes
Bogdan Ionut Lazarescu November 7, 2019

Hello,

I totally agree with the guys here, that Priority field MUST be empty to force the user actively chose the prioritisation of the field. This makes sense from Project Management point of view and it is required to have.

Atlassian, you should listen more to the clients' requests.

Best regards,

Ionut

Ionut

If you have a moment, please 'vote' for this feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-13048

(note: I'm not an Atlassian employee)

0 votes
Alex Bernardin September 7, 2016

FWIW, in january 2016, Atlassian has indicated that they're basically not doing this.  (text below copied from their ticketing system - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-13048)

Atlassian Update – 4 January 2016

Hi everyone,

Thanks for voting and commenting on this issue. Your feedback is key to helping us understand how you use JIRA so we can continue improving your experience. We have reviewed this issue over the last few days; unfortunately we don't have any plans to support this in JIRA for the foreseeable future.

Please remember that jira.atlassian.com is one of many inputs for the JIRA roadmap. You can learn more about our process here.

I understand that our decision may be disappointing. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

Regards,
Dave Meyer
dmeyer@atlassian.com
Product Manager, JIRA Platform

Deleted user November 6, 2019

Hello,

I would like to understand why Atlassian thinks that a Required field having a default value set is correct behavior.  The purpose of the Required field is to make the user ENTER/SELECT a value.  If you default it, the users will skip right over the field.  Then Projects end up with 1000's of Jira tickets with Priority = Medium setting.  How is that beneficial?

Regards,

Karen

Like # people like this

Hi Karen,

If you have a moment, please 'vote' for this feature request:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-13048

(note: I'm not an Atlassian employee)

David Luke April 8, 2020

Well said. Voted.

Suggest an answer