Set condition on custom field using select list

Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 27, 2014

Hello,

I'm on Jira 6.0.8.

I created a custom field using a select list with 5 values. If user chooses 1 of the 5 values, "D", then the issue should follow a different workflow. If the user chooses on of the other 4 values (A+, A, B or C), there should be no change to workflow.

I am looking for guidance on how best to configure this requirement.

Thank you,

Lynn

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 28, 2014

Hi Nic,

I figured it out, thanks!

Lynn

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 27, 2014

Simple answer is that you can't do it.

The workflow an issue goes through is determined entirely and only by the issue type of the issue in the project. The other fields are utterly irrelevant. If you want to change workflow, you have to change the issue type. End of story.

You *could* try to wedge this in - find/write a listener that will pick up edits, catch "select list changes from something to D" and try to change the issue type, but that is not an easy task, and I've yet to see changes to issue type automated and working in all but the most simple of cases where the settings for the issues are identical, including using the same workflow!

Your best option is probably to merge the workflow. Create two paths through the workflow, and use conditions that say "you can only see transitions in route 1 if "D" is set" and another to say "you can only see transitions in route 2 if "D" is NOT set"

Lynn Gariepy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 27, 2014

Hello Nic,

Actually the last paragraph looks very interesting. The idea is if field is set to D, go from Dev Complete directly to Ready to Deploy in the same workflow as A+ through C values that will use.

Can you show me an example of how to set the two paths in the workflow?

Thanks!

Lynn

Suggest an answer