Set a custom field to its default value in a transition

Hi,

I would like to set a custom field back to it's default value when an issue is re-opened. I know how to set a value during a transition and even how to get the current value via a Groovy script but I can't seem to find a way to find the field's default value? Right now we have the default value "hard coded" into a post function but the field's default value changes on a monthly basis so I'd like to be able to update the default value in the Custom Field configuration without having to go and also change all my Post Functions. 

Please note that while we have JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions, we don't have Script Runner. 

Thanks for the help!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Hi,

finding the default value of a field in Jira is actually overly complicated. It really depends on the type of custom field. If you tell me which custom field type it is, I might be able to provide the appropriate code.

Sorry, I knew I forgot something in my original post! The Custom Field is a "Select List (single choice)"

Thanks

You can use the following script:

import com.atlassian.jira.component.ComponentAccessor
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.Issue
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomField
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.config.FieldConfig

CustomFieldManager customFieldManager = ComponentAccessor.customFieldManager;
CustomField customField = customFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjectByName("select")
FieldConfig relevantConfig = customField.getRelevantConfig(issue);
customField.getCustomFieldType().getDefaultValue(relevantConfig)

That worked perfectly, thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

708 views 6 13
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you