Session expires too often

Maxim Kashaev April 13, 2023

We're using two Jira nodes in cluster behind ALB. But our users experience error, that says that their session has expired. Error occurs when they're editing something. And it can be like 1 minute after they log in. Also we're using Kantega SSO for authentication. How can we fix error with session expiration?

1 answer

0 votes
Radek Dostál
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2023

This might be worthwhile to check: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/change-the-default-session-timeout-to-avoid-user-logout-in-jira-server-604209887.html

Specifically the session timeout in '<jira-install>/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/web.xml' and '<jira-install>/conf/web.xml'

Overall a lot of good reads there but just hypothetically speaking, if you authenticate to Jira once, then it's all up to Jira to invalidate the session, so I wouldn't say SSO has anything to do with it in theory.. but not willing to bet on that, just a gut feeling.

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 13, 2023

Hi @Maxim Kashaev 

id also recommend confirming that your load balancer is using sticky sessions so a users traffic will always be served by the same node. While this means you can have unbalanced load on your two nodes, some of the session info is stored on the app server itself, so if the request to open a create issue dialog goes to node1 and then the submit goes to node2, node2 doesn’t know you’re authenticated - it might then just authenticate you via SAML, but your POST form data won’t be available after that process. 

CCM

Maxim Kashaev April 14, 2023

@Craig Castle-Mead @Radek Dostál first of all, thanks for quick response. 

I've checked session timeout and it has default values. 
And for testing I've remove 2nd node, still same problem. 
Maybe there's something else I can try to resolve issue?

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2023

If you’re having these types of issues even on a single node, I’d be thinking that one of the default settings has been changed, or it’s something with the Kantega config (either kantega itself, or a setting in Jira that should be changed as part of your Kantega setup and might not have been. Id head to Kantega support next if I was in your shoes.

CCM

Suggest an answer