Service user can create issues but not edit them

Preston Crowe December 17, 2021

We have been using a developer's OAuth credentials for API access to Jira and decided to create a dedicated service account instead. I requested an account from my Jira admin with Create/Edit permissions for a specific project and generated OAuth credentials. The account can create issues without any problems, but when I try to update fields with the Jira API python wrapper I get the following error:

{
   "errorMessages":[

],
   "errors":{
      "summary":"Field 'summary' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.",
      "customfield_13305":"Field 'customfield_13305' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.",
      "description":"Field 'description' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.",
      "customfield_13300":"Field 'customfield_13300' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.",
      "customfield_13610":"Field 'customfield_13610' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown.",
      "customfield_13302":"Field 'customfield_13302' cannot be set. It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown."
   }
}

I know the account is assigned the User role, are there other permissions required to be able to edit an issue?
Note that the error message contains both custom and standard fields, neither of which can be edited.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Yanty Ghani [ServiceRocket]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2021

Hi @Preston Crowe ,

Welcome to Atlassian Community. There are 2 things that you need to check. First, please go to permission scheme of the project and check that the user has "Edit Issues" permission, https://<instance_url>/plugins/servlet/project-config/<project_key>/permissions

Second, please check the edit issue screen of that issue type that it has all the fields that are listed as "It is not on the appropriate screen, or unknown", https://<instance_url>/plugins/servlet/project-config/<project_key>/screens

Hope this works for you.

Preston Crowe December 28, 2021

Thank you so much @Yanty Ghani [ServiceRocket]! After requesting my Jira admin to check the project configuration pages linked above, they were able to identify the issue.

The problem was that the Edit Issues permission was not assigned to the User role for this specific project - with that information, we were able to edit the project config to give the service account edit access. Thanks again!

Yanty Ghani [ServiceRocket]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

You're welcome @Preston Crowe . Glad that it helps :)

Suggest an answer