Separate Priority Schemes for each issue type

Kevin Paulus July 9, 2018

User wants to use a different Priority scheme for one Issue Type while using the default priority scheme for all other issue types.  Can this happen & how?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 9, 2018

No, priority schemes have only just been changed from global to project.  They can't be issue-based.  (I'm not sure they ever would - if you have very different priority schemes in a project, you probably should be using separate projects)

Kevin Paulus July 9, 2018

Thank you Nic:  I suspected as much.  In this instance, the users want to use a numeric scale from 1 - 5 for a BUG issue type but retain the default priorities for the other issues.  More specifically, they are testing hardware & software combinations and will be identifying bugs in both.  I understand the dilemma as no matter how granular a project team may be with respect to their areas of responsibility, occasionally you do have issues that fall outside the parameters of your project structure.  I will have to offer an alternative solution that will satisfy all their needs.

Adam Fishlock October 4, 2019

Hi, Nic.

Long time no speak! :) 

Is it possible to remove the default Jira priority field from a Project? I've removed it from the Create Issue screen but as soon as the issue is created it appears on the actual issue.

I've created a custom priority field to use for this Project and so it is a little confusing to still have the default Priority field showing as well.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Adam

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 15, 2019

You can use the "field configuration" to hide the priority, which will also stop it taking any value on create/edit. 

But I think it's like resolution - once set, the priority will still appear whatever you do.  (Not a bad thing for resolution, as that should never be hidden, at least until Atlassian move to a sane "done"/"closed" scheme)

You should be able to bulk-edit to clear the existing priorities (before hiding it with a field configuration scheme).  

Try hiding it first though! 

1 vote
John Gallucci August 20, 2020

This is a total bummer. Here is a specific use case where this would be beneficial. Consider you are running a service desk and want to prioritize Incidents (this which are broken) over Service Requests (something you need) and such you could set the default priority for Incident to 'Medium' and default priority for Service Request to 'Low'. This would allow for a more natural prioritization of work without having to manually change the priority.

As I type this I wonder if any of the automation features of JSD could do this. I'm going to go investigate.

John Gallucci August 20, 2020

Looks like the answer is 'yes'. I was able to configure an automation rule to change the priority of incidents when they are created matching certain conditions. This doesn't solve the issue for JIRA Software, but at least it is available for Service Desk.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 20, 2020

Your use case is right.

Atlassian Cloud does not support it.  (Server and DC do).

0 votes
Christian Sprenger September 17, 2021

As this question is couple years old, may I ask if it is already possible to at least assign a priority scheme workflow-based?

Or if I can use a property setting on a transition to exclude/include certain priorities, similar as jira.field.resolution.exclude?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

No, it's not changed, there's no way to do this.  The resolution-property trick is not available for most other fields, including priority.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 17, 2021

Oops, just noticed, you might be looking at Cloud or Server.

That last comment was for Cloud only.  Server and DC have had "priority schemes" for a few years now - not workflow or issue based, only project.

Like Christian Sprenger likes this
Christian Sprenger September 17, 2021

Understood, thanks for the answer Nic.

Yes, the question from my side was for Server and non-project based. That means I cannot do that.

Again, thx 

Suggest an answer