Segregating issues for a separate part of the business

Moshe Japha September 14, 2011

We have an existing installation of Jira that is used for traditional development-style bug and issue tracking. It uses many of the default structures (issue types, permission schemes, etc).

We have a part of the business that wants to track requests for action from external customer organizations. We plan to customize the issue types, fields, screen, permission schemes, etc to meet the needs of this business. We also need to ensure that each customer organization only has access to their issues and attachments.

How can we configure the admin features such that we have complete segregation from the existing set up, while implmenting the customizations we need? How do we keep the Development-related issue types and projects, which are in the default schemes, from being presented to the customers?

Further, we had planned to assign individual projects to each Customer. (Often a customer has multiple programs. Each would need its own project). Is this the best way to ensure segregration of each customer's issues & attachments?

Thanks

MJ

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2011

You can't separate the admin functions - a Jira Admin is a Jira Admin, there's no way to limit them to projects (because all the stuff they do is effectively global)

But you can do the split at a project level. You set up two sets of projects, one for development and the other for the other stuff. Permissions can be set to grant access to one set and not to the other. I could ramble for ages, but I'd rather advise you to have a look at http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions and then get back to us with more specific questions if you get stuck!

0 votes
Moshe Japha October 2, 2011

We have successfully done this at the project level as Nic suggests. From the users point of view each side sees only their projects, ticket types and the like.

The universal customizations such as Look & Feel, resolutions and the like are not separable, however.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 23, 2011

Yes, Look & Feel, Resolutions and Priorities are annoyingly global.

Although I don't find look & feel particularly anoying, Priorities and Resolutions are a massive pain which Atlassian really should have dealt with a long time ago. Priorities in particular are blocking Jira adoption in a number of big clients I know of.

Suggest an answer