Seeking opinion on which inventory/asset management to add to Jira ServiceDesk Server

Nelson Mataragnon November 17, 2018

I am looking the following Asset management:

Insight - Asset management for Jira by Riada 

or

Assets and Inventory Plugin for Jira.

Wondering if anyone who has used both or either can provide some opinion on why they like it or not. 

I am leaning toward Insight because it appear to have more feature but I like the simplicity of Assets and inventory Plugin.

I am looking to manage company assest that consist of computers, cellphone, servers and software.

thank you

Nelson M

3 answers

3 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Johannes Buverud
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 20, 2018

After using Insight for a while, one thing that impress me is their customer support. They are usually really quick to answer, and often I get a solution within few hours. 

The reporting features really needs an improvement, but I have been told it will become way better in next version.

Nelson Mataragnon November 20, 2018

Thank you for the input.  Greatly appreciated.

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2018

I can only support that. Riada guys are cold-blooded Swedes ;-) but they are very customer, and partner-facing. 

From perspective of Atlassian consultant working with them for 2,5-3 years - it never happened to wait more than 24h for first hot-fix package. And only one - major and not easy to trace glitch required significant development that took more than 2 weeks.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martijn Boerwinkel November 19, 2018

Hi Nelson,

It is best to compare the various options to see what they provide and what you need. 

We evaluated them both and now using "Assets and Inventory", so far so good. They have good customer support, we asked for some new features and they released them quickly.

"Insight - Asset Management for JIRA": Good plugin with lots of nice features. It has export/import, CMDB support, graphical reports, advanced workflows, asset categories, etc.. It has nice features but UI is a little bit complex/confusing to use, they could offer a better user experience. And it's over priced. Nearly half of whole JIRA Server. We didn't want to pay for the features we do not need.

"Assets and Inventory Plugin for JIRA" is the best add-on for our needs, so we went this with plugin.  It simply does what it promises. We use it now for six months and we are very happy so far. We started from the built-in ready forms and modified them according to our needs. Then we could import our assets from excel and it saved us a lot of time. Now we manage our asset tracking flow with this plugin and JIRA. It has references between objects but they do not have a graphical view to show them. You link issue to asset with Custom Field, very Jira way. Also new Asset Navigator is very easy use to use and very fast. 

Good luck.

PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2018

Well - exactly as it says - depending on purpose. As for Insight overprice - I would be careful with such statement. It is priced accordingly to features (if you use or don't use them - different story). :-)

0 votes
Answer accepted
PJ Wysota
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 19, 2018

Well, just as You spotted it:
1) Insight is a full scale relational DB - of course with first goal to serve as IT Asset Mgmt, but can do far beyond that (all sorts of Assets, categorisation of issues related to any abstract concepts - like SLA, Service Catalog etc., HR databases - employees, skills base, trainings etc.). On the top of Insight itself You got full set of add-ons - automating imports and synchronisation - for AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, SCCM, SNOW, Service Now etc.
2) Assets and Inventory is simpler - it holds assets with their attributes, but do not allow building references between objects, multi level structures etc. 

So it all depends on your current and future needs. I prefer Insight - due to there are no limitations to use it against any relational structure. But indeed we have customers which prefer Assets and Inventory due to it is simpler and... cheaper a bit.

Nelson Mataragnon November 20, 2018

Thank you for the input.  Greatly appreciated.

Suggest an answer