See textchanges in Jira instant without use save

How do I see text changes in JIRA instant and not as code like *strong*, without use save.

And when I cut and past text I want to keep the formatting of text. Now all the line breaks is lost.

Like this text editor... If  I mark text and then choose Bold, I instant see the bold. How can I get the same function in JIRA?

Thanks for tips and answers

Kind regard

Hanna

1 answer

0 votes

The editor in JIRA is a plain text editor, not a rich text one.  It stores and edits plain text, and it can then be told to "read this text as wiki markup" which makes it display the text with formatting.

Atlassian have requests outstanding to bring the Confluence edit style into JIRA, but I'm not sure how far away that is.  Until that is done, I'm afraid there is no "wysiwyg" you can do.

There are a couple of editor addons for  JIRA that may do it. "JEditor" is the one I can name from memory.  I've not used them though, so I can't be sure they do wysiwyg. (My writing process has always been "content first, format it on the first read-through", so I've never needed wysiwyg and find it gets in the way sometimes) 

Thanks Nic for Quick answer.

But I don't understand the editor that is used now. Why give me the opportunity to edit my text when it's not showing.

When you mention the addons - is this something you can install to change the Editor behavior in JIRA?

Kind regards
Hanna

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,760 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot