Security Level for a specific issue type

Mari Car December 5, 2017

Hello - 

In our project we have different issue types.  Can I set the issue level secuirty to one specific issue type? I see no way to do it, and it seems to be applied to the whole Project. 

Thank you very much in advance! 

Best regards

Maria 

4 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
Kimberly Deal _Columbus ACE_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 5, 2017

@Mari Car

If you have a different workflow for that issue type, you can set the issue level security as a post function on the create transition.  That would apply that security level to that specific issue type. This will only apply to issue level security defined by project role, however. 

Example from the Workflow Post Function options.

Issue Level on Workflow.PNG

Mari Car December 6, 2017

oooh nice! Thank you! I will try it, yes, we have different workflows! thank you very much!

Hi Kimberly, 

I still have a question: How can I set this post function?

On the Post functions tab, you can see any post functions that have already been set. In this case I want to set a new one " Set issue security level". How can I get it? Thank you very much in advance! 

Thank you very much in advance & best Regards

Mari

Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2017

@Mari Car

Open the Workflow, to edit, select the transition and click on Post Functions.
Workflow create transition.PNG

On the Transition screen, select Add post functionselect Add Post Function. png.png

Like Velta likes this

Hi Kimberly, 

yes I know it, I have set several Post functions alrealdy, but I have no option to set a post function for the security level. ;) that was what I meant, so I thought I can set a totally new one 

Thank you for your fast help. 

Best regards

Mari

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2017

@Mari Car

I'm sorry, that I miss understood your follow up question.  This might have something to do options available with different versions of Jira. My answers and screen captures are from a base install of Jira Cloud.  What version are you on? 

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 6, 2017

Hi,

In the example you're using is this using ScriptRunner?  I found an article titled How to set the Security Level of an issue based on group membership that provides directions using ScriptRunner:

You can automatically select a security level using an add-on. Below is one way to set this up using the popular add-on Script Runner. Please note that we do not provide technical support for this add-on so if you encounter problems you may need to contact the add-on vendor.

If this is indeed using a ScriptRunner post-function this could be why you're not seeing that option especially if you're on Server and do not have ScriptRunner installed.

Thanks,

Branden

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2017

@somethingblue

My Answer is based on a bare Cloud install.  It is not using ScriptRunner.  No Plugins installed in the environment at all.

Hi Kimberly, 

thank you for your help. I have a Server 7.2.2 Version and I don´t have this option  :( . But I have POWER SCRIPTS installed. That means I have to choose the Post function SIL PostFunction (Runs a SIL program as postfuntion). 

That would be a good option for the Server Versions too! 

Best Regards 

Runs a SIL program as a postfunction)

PostFunction.PNG

Community Leader
Community Leader
December 7, 2017

@Mari Car

Ok, I hope they bring that option to Server too.  Its really handy.  I am glad you have something that will serve the function though!

2 votes
Ro December 28, 2017

Hi, I have achieved setting Security Level to Specific Issue Types with the current Cloud version (as of the date of this comment) without using code, plugin or any post functions on the workflows.  Vary these base instructions to suit your needs.

Jira Cloud – enable Specific Issue Types to be seen/used by specific group/users

Scenario: I wanted some Issue Types (let's call them Private Issue types, I had 3 of these private Issue Types) to be restricted and only viewable by internal staff and not by third party users.

Solution:

This assumes you are familiar with customising Jira - see the Jira help guides as required.

1, From Jira Administration (cloud based Jira), go to the "Issues" tab.

2, I created my own “Issue Type Schemes” that has all the Issue types that I use including my customised Issue types.

3, I created 1 "Screens" (This Screen (Configure Screen) and only this Screen has the field "Security Level) and 1 "Screen Scheme" for just these Private Issue Types. The other Issue Types have their own “Screen” and “Screen Scheme”.

4, On "Issue Type Screen Schemes", I have a specific "Issue Type Screen Schemes" that I’m using/have created for all my projects. On this "Issue Type Screen Schemes" I have set the individual Private Issue Types to use the "Screen Scheme" that's just been created above. The other Issue Types use their own Schemes.

5, I created a single "Field Configurations" for just these Private issue Types and ensured 'Security Level' field is being used. Set it so that it’s not Mandatory. Check that no other (including "Default Field Configuration") "Field Configurations" are using the field "Security Level". Also check no other “Screen” apart from the one created above are using “Security Level” field. I have just the one "Field Configuration Schemes".

6, I have created an "Issue Security Scheme" - this has just the one "Security Level" - It's set to use my "Internal Project Role" only and this is also the "Default" Security level for this "Issue Security Scheme".

7, I have previously created my own "Permissions scheme" where I have the Internal and separate third party user "Project Roles" setup. The important bit is the Internal users are set using the "Internal Project Role" and third party users are set to use the third party project roles, under Project settings> People> Role. These two project roles are my only roles that have the "Browse Project" permission. Setting Jira like this makes it more secure as I think the default setup allows any user to see any project. My “third Party project role” is more restrictive than the “Internal Project Role”.

I have tried and tested the above after pulling my hair out one evening and it works!! I hope I’ve not missed a step in the above instructions. I did review the steps but have not created brand new Config/setup from scratch using the above instructions.

Don't forget you can make retrospective "Bulk" field changes to Jira Issues as required to help conform to the above. I use a "Master" template project that has all the above Config and my other projects now have the same Config as the “Master” project. When creating a new project and assuming I need the same security as above, then I use the "Create with shared configuration" feature and base the new project on my "Master" project. So ensure all projects that need this security – have all the above Config.

Good luck,

Ro

2 votes
mfabris
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 7, 2017

Hi!

What about using the JIRA automation plugin lite, which is free.

You can set it up in three steps

automation.png

It is a nice little app, free and Atlassian Verified

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin/server/overview

I hope this helps!

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 5, 2017

Hi Mari,

This feature has been requested in 2004 but the Suggestion was marked as Closed - Will not fix.  You can find this Suggestion at JRASERVER-4794.

I did not find a newer Suggestion for this request but it does appear there is still some interest in this feature.  I would probably suggest creating a new Suggestion for the feature at this time and post the link to the ticket here so the community can vote on it and add impact.  Hopefully the devs will revisit the topic once it's determined this is still a desired feature.

Cheers,

Branden

yes, it would be great! I will add it! thank you

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
December 6, 2017

Thank you for voting on JRASERVER-4794 and adding your comments!

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question