Secure IMAP Error - unable to find valid certification path to requested target

state51 orders
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 17, 2014

Trying to add a secure IMAP server for Jira to cover incoming mail. Every time I try and test the connection I get 'SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target'.

Any idea if this is fixable?

2 answers

1 vote
Jose Porcel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 11, 2015

Hi,

We have the "in house" version of Jira, the certificate is self-signed (from Plesk) but there is no settings in the interface to override the SSL check. In osTicket, I have not problem at all using POP3+SSL against the same server.

Is there a simple way to disable the checks ?

Regards

0 votes
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2014

Hi,

As you're connecting to a secure mail server, you need to import the certificate of the mail server to the keystore path of your JIRA, so that the mail server will trust your JIRA and allow the connection. For more information, kindly refer to Connecting to SSL services.

Cheers,

Andy

state51 orders
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
February 18, 2014

This is JIRA ondemand, it's hosted by Atlassian.

Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 19, 2014

Hi,

If that's the case, the certificate of the mail server may not be trusted by Atlassian:

• This problem comes from a certificate that is either self-signed (a CA did not sign it) or the certificate chain does not exist within the Java keystore. Subsequently, JIRA doesn't trust the certificate and fails to connect to the application.
  • It is not possible to install intermediate certificates in OnDemand. The potential impact might be that you will run into problems when adding secure POP/IMAP mail servers that have certificates signed by non-root CAs.
  • The workaround is to obtain a certificate signed by a trusted root Certification Authority (CA). The full list is here.

Please double check on this.

Regards,

Andy

Suggest an answer