Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Secrets in Automation

When using Automation to integrate with external systems (e.g. linking Jira to Cherwell for incident<->work item triage) how do you safely manage secrets? So far I haven't found anywhere that I can store secrets in Jira and refer to them via {{ smart variables }} or similar so they're not exposed in the raw Webhook code.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted

I too am looking for a way to do this! I need some sort of secrets management for Jira automation. Is there perhaps a plugin for this? It would be good if there were built-in methods for achieving this, however.

I wonder if this would work? Not played with it though and not sure if you could use as a smart value in automation? https://www.teamsecrets.io/jira

Thanks Steve, that does look like it will do the job. Interesting it's locked to S3 buckets from the quick read, and good to note that someone else (ie. you) have noted this isn't provided in Jira (ie. I didn't miss anything obvious)

Cheers for pointing this out.

Like Steve Moss likes this

Did you find an answer?

I didn't get any joy with this. Ended up refactoring into a Lambda in AWS and speaking to the Jira API that way instead. That way we could use Amazon Secrets Manager and not expose secrets via the Jira automation (albeit only project and Jira admins had access).

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you